Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Vagifem dose and use of Progesterone  (Read 661 times)

Kaz60

• First Flush
Vagifem dose and use of Progesterone
« on: October 04, 2022, 10:27:51 PM »

Hello all
I am after some advise about Vagifem use. I am 63 and have been on Vagifem (10mcg pessaries) for about 10 years. I am on them 3 times a week and this works well for me and my symptoms.

A couple of years ago a Doctor thought that 3 times a week is over the recommended dosage of 2 x a week and prescribed progesterone. I take a single course over 10 days once every 6 months to produce some spotting.
Reading here it seems that a vagifem dosage of 3x per week may not be excessive and I wonder whether it is necessary at all.  I don’t like taking the progesterone as it doesn’t really agree with me. 

Does anyone know if this would be the conventional and recommended approach to vagifem use 3 times a week?
Thank you for any advice or experience you may have.
I’m in Australia and it is difficult to see a GP for consistent care.
Kaz

Joaniepat

Re: Vagifem dose and use of Progesterone
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2022, 07:22:22 AM »

Welcome to the forum, Kaz60.
You do not need endometrial protection with local oestrogen, it is a tiny dose and is not absorbed systematically. Vagifem used to be produced in a 25mcg version (discontinued  for commercial reasons) and the licensed maintenance dose for that was twice a week, so 50 mcg. Therefore, 5 Vagifem at the current 10mcg version would be fine.
JP x

Kaz60

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2022, 07:54:49 AM »

Hello Joaniepat
Thank you so much for your reply. I appreciate it very much. I thought that may be the case.
xKaz

Ayesha

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2022, 02:48:01 PM »

Hi Kaz

Just also to say that recently in the UK Vagifem is now available to buy over the counter under the brand name 'Gina’.  The UK is very strict regarding over-the-counter meds so I think it confirms Vagifem is safe to use on a daily basis if needed.

I am not on systemic HRT but use Vagifem, and Ovestin cream daily, all agreed by my Gynae GP.

Kaz60

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2022, 02:01:29 AM »

Thanks so much for sharing your experience and knowledge Ayesha. It is interesting that vagifem under ‘gina’ is available over the counter in the UK and I hope that travels to Australia soon.
Kaz