Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Where is the evidence for 250 minimum estrogen level ?  (Read 565 times)

pepperminty

Where is the evidence for 250 minimum estrogen level ?
« on: October 03, 2022, 05:26:57 PM »

Hi ladies ,

the experts say that 250 i the minimum dose for bone protection etc when on HRT. Where is the research and evidence that supports this measurement? is it accurate?

PM xx

Hurdity

Re: Where is the evidence for 250 minimum estrogen level ?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2022, 05:41:03 PM »

This comes up quite regularly! I don't have time to look at the moment but some years ago I read a paper which actually linked the absolute systemic levels of estradiol to the degree of bone protection. I haven't been able to find it again! I had an idea the amount quoted was about 170-180 but this will be based on some other factor used to measure protection (my memory might not be good...)  It is dose dependent (ie more oestrogen gives greater protection) so small amounts do have an effect. The science is complex.

There are certain doses of oestrogen that are licensed for prevention and treatement of oesteoporosis - as per menu on this website - and this will have been based on trials and the average systemic levels achieved by a given dose.

Sorry to sound vague and probably says nothing you don't know already!

It is an interesting question and when I have more time I will try to remember to look this up - but hopefully someone else will be able to!

Hurdity x

pepperminty

Re: Where is the evidence for 250 minimum estrogen level ?
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2022, 06:44:29 AM »

This comes up quite regularly! I don't have time to look at the moment but some years ago I read a paper which actually linked the absolute systemic levels of estradiol to the degree of bone protection. I haven't been able to find it again! I had an idea the amount quoted was about 170-180 but this will be based on some other factor used to measure protection (my memory might not be good...)  It is dose dependent (ie more oestrogen gives greater protection) so small amounts do have an effect. The science is complex.

There are certain doses of oestrogen that are licensed for prevention and treatement of oesteoporosis - as per menu on this website - and this will have been based on trials and the average systemic levels achieved by a given dose.

Sorry to sound vague and probably says nothing you don't know already!

It is an interesting question and when I have more time I will try to remember to look this up - but hopefully someone else will be able to!

Hurdity x

Hi Hurdity ,

thanks for replying. That is interesting that it is dose dependent. Meaning that small amounts do have some protection. I am curious as to where the 250 comes in , I suspect it is a probable average.  So a medium dose gives women a probable average?

But as the powers that be do not routinely scan for bones or do estrogen blood levels - on what is this based? I suspect that if this was years ago then it was premarin mostly?  How big was the study and what ages and lifestyle factors were taken into account?

I am also curious as my level of estrogen has dropped yet my bone scan shows that I have the bones of an average 30-year-old.

I remember that at one time you had your estrogen level measured and it was below 100 I seem to recall, and you were concerned. Did you ever get that sorted?

My estrogen has dropped to 263 , from constantly being in the 300's but I felt ok . I guess my own levels are dropping in the background now. I am on a low dose. I have never made it to a medium dose, as every time I increase, I get very achy and feel worse. It does worry me that I cannot get any higher with my dosage and whether I will maintain my protection against all the things HRT helps with.

I have started T again, but only 3 petite pois dots a week. This whole optimise your estrogen before Testosterone makes me wonder that as surely everyone's optimal levels are different - one may feel good on a low dose and others on a high one. So how does one know if one is optimised? Especially if the NHS don't do levels!

All we all want is to be healthy later into life. 

I have tried to increase again recently and although - interestingly - my anxiety has not got worse,( I am usually a blubbering wreck when I increase!) but I have developed more aches and feel very arthritic each morning again. This also happens every time I increase. So I will reduce again and see if it improves.

PMXX