Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Low Estrogen and Sleep Issues  (Read 1846 times)

discogirl

Low Estrogen and Sleep Issues
« on: September 27, 2022, 04:45:19 PM »

I found this interesting article online regarding low estrogen and sleep.

"Low estrogen levels typically cause insomnia, because estrogen helps move magnesium into tissues, which is crucial for catalyzing the synthesis of important sleep neurotransmitters, including melatonin.
Therefore, when estrogen levels decline such as in perimenopause (the years preceding menopause, when hormone levels are declining) and menopause, it is both harder to fall asleep and stay asleep throughout the night. Menopause is notorious for causing insomnia, and hot flashes often play a minor role, but insomnia may still plague women for many years even without hot flashes."

https://propelltherapy.com/female-hormones-and-insomnia/

Kathleen

Re: Low Estrogen and Sleep Issues
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2022, 05:24:33 PM »

Hello discogirl.

I have also read research that showed sleep improvement for menstruating women if they were given extra oestrogen.

For menopause a diet high in magnesium or supplements would hopefully be of help.

I have just reduced my Oestrogen again and I didn't sleep well last night which is unusual for me...I do hope this isn't the start of insomnia, I am moody enough as it is lol.

Take care.

K.

discogirl

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2022, 05:44:56 PM »

hi ksthleen

can i ask why you have reduced your oestrogen.

and definately regarding the magnesium. i take magnesium bisglycinate from love life xxx

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2022, 08:17:10 PM »

Hello discogirl

This time last year I was using three 100mcg sachets of Sandrena gel and 100mcg of Utrogestan vaginally on alternate nights, I was also using Androfeme (testosterone) daily. I was still having mood swings where I could feel be absolutely fine and okay for a while but then feel very jittery and tearful. My moods would be up and down most days.
I was tolerating this but I noticed increasingly tender breasts and then spotting followed by a full on heavy bleed. I had some investigation and I was told that my HRT was too high and I should reduce my oestrogen.

I have gradually reduced the sachets to one per day and two days ago I reduced further to one half per day. I replaced Utrogestan with Cyclogest about six months ago and in the last few weeks  I have stopped testosterone altogether.

In summary I changed my HRT regime due to bleeding etc but it also wasn't helping my emotional symptoms and perhaps even making them worse by adding unnecessary fluctuations.

My experiment continues but unfortunately I have had a bad day today so hoping for a better one tomorrow!

I should add that I am post meno so my own hormones are not involved and my emotional issues are the only remaining Meno symptom that I have.

I hope this helps you in some way and I wish you well.

K.

discogirl

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2022, 08:31:23 PM »

it certainly does help kathleen. thank you so much for explaining.

i am post meno by about 4 yrs. i started hrt on 25th august.

i was sailing along fine i was having anxiety but managing it when in feb i got tinnitus and everything spiralled downwards after that insomnia anxiety etc.

i thought it might have been hormonal and im glad i started hrt and so glad i found this site.

thank you so much for your help and i hope you get the balance you need with your hrt xxx

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2022, 08:45:45 PM »

Hello again discogirl.

You are most welcome and thank you for your kind words, they are much appreciated.

Wishing you well.

K.