Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Tinnitus & Medication  (Read 1814 times)

getting_old

Tinnitus & Medication
« on: September 25, 2022, 08:57:14 PM »

Wasn't sure whether to put this in the Meno section or here, and it comes with the caveat that studies can prove or disprove any theory, depending on what the author intends..... however I was searching for hearing stuff and found this. As there have been a couple of posts about Tinnitus I thought it might be of interest (other medications mentioned included some chemo drugs, antibiotics and diuretics)

Over-the-counter pain relievers
Painkillers such as aspirin, acetaminophen and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
Research indicates that over-the-counter pain relievers can contribute to both hearing loss and tinnitus, especially if they’re used for two or more days per week, says Sharon Curhan, an epidemiologist at Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School and author of several studies on the connection.

In a 2012 study that followed more than 62,000 women, Curhan discovered that frequent use of acetaminophen or NSAIDs, even in typical doses, was linked to an up to 24 percent higher risk of developing hearing loss.  In men, a similar study demonstrated that regular use — two or more times per week — of acetaminophen, NSAIDs and aspirin are all associated with a higher risk of hearing loss.

Another large study, the Epidemiology of Hearing Loss Study, found that among adults who already had hearing loss, NSAID use was associated with a 45 percent higher risk of progression of their hearing loss.

Researchers speculate that the medications may reduce blood flow to the cochlea, an organ in the inner ear that helps with hearing.

“The overarching message from these findings is that even though these analgesics are widely available without a prescription, these are still medications and there are potential side effects,” Curhan says. “For anyone who is considering taking these types of medications regularly, it is advisable to consult with a health-care professional to discuss the risks and benefits and to explore whether there are alternatives to using medication.”

Fortunately, frequent use of low-dose aspirin (100 mg or less) has not been linked to hearing-related side effects. Many older adults take a low dose of the drug daily to prevent cardiovascular disease.

Long-term hormone therapy
Hormone therapy can be helpful for treating menopausal symptoms such as hot flashes, but a large study led by Curhan and published in the Menopause in 2017 found a strong correlation between oral hormone therapy and hearing loss. The study, which followed almost 81,000 postmenopausal women for more than 20 years, found that the longer a woman took hormone therapy (estrogen therapy or estrogen plus progestogen therapy), the greater her risk of hearing loss.

Compared to those who never took hormones, the risk of hearing loss was 15 percent higher among women who used oral hormone therapy for five to nearly 10 years and 21 percent higher among women who used the therapy for 10 years or longer, the study showed.

Based on those results, Curhan recommends that women concerned about hearing limit their use of hormone therapy to five years or less.

Joaniepat

Re: Tinnitus & Medication
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2022, 09:58:38 PM »

Interesting to note that the epidemiologist cites ORAL hormone therapy as a culprit. I  wonder which element, E or P, or both.
Thanks for posting this getting_old.
JP x

Katejo

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 11:19:58 AM »

Wasn't sure whether to put this in the Meno section or here, and it comes with the caveat that studies can prove or disprove any theory, depending on what the author intends..... however I was searching for hearing stuff and found this. As there have been a couple of posts about Tinnitus I thought it might be of interest (other medications mentioned included some chemo drugs, antibiotics and diuretics)

Over-the-counter pain relievers
Painkillers such as aspirin, acetaminophen and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
Research indicates that over-the-counter pain relievers can contribute to both hearing loss and tinnitus, especially if they’re used for two or more days per week, says Sharon Curhan, an epidemiologist at Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School and author of several studies on the connection.

In a 2012 study that followed more than 62,000 women, Curhan discovered that frequent use of acetaminophen or NSAIDs, even in typical doses, was linked to an up to 24 percent higher risk of developing hearing loss.  In men, a similar study demonstrated that regular use — two or more times per week — of acetaminophen, NSAIDs and aspirin are all associated with a higher risk of hearing loss.

Another large study, the Epidemiology of Hearing Loss Study, found that among adults who already had hearing loss, NSAID use was associated with a 45 percent higher risk of progression of their hearing loss.

Researchers speculate that the medications may reduce blood flow to the cochlea, an organ in the inner ear that helps with hearing.

“The overarching message from these findings is that even though these analgesics are widely available without a prescription, these are still medications and there are potential side effects,” Curhan says. “For anyone who is considering taking these types of medications regularly, it is advisable to consult with a health-care professional to discuss the risks and benefits and to explore whether there are alternatives to using medication.”

Fortunately, frequent use of low-dose aspirin (100 mg or less) has not been linked to hearing-related side effects. Many older adults take a low dose of the drug daily to prevent cardiovascular disease.

Long-term hormone therapy
Hormone therapy can be helpful for treating menopausal symptoms such as hot flashes, but a large study led by Curhan and published in the Menopause in 2017 found a strong correlation between oral hormone therapy and hearing loss. The study, which followed almost 81,000 postmenopausal women for more than 20 years, found that the longer a woman took hormone therapy (estrogen therapy or estrogen plus progestogen therapy), the greater her risk of hearing loss.

Compared to those who never took hormones, the risk of hearing loss was 15 percent higher among women who used oral hormone therapy for five to nearly 10 years and 21 percent higher among women who used the therapy for 10 years or longer, the study showed.

Based on those results, Curhan recommends that women concerned about hearing limit their use of hormone therapy to five years or less.
I was a bit alarmed by this because I have suffered a sudden hearing loss on the left very recently. I browsed online and found conflicting claims re. dosage. i saw the one which you have quoted above but also another which said that it was only a problem if  the painkiller were taken continuously or if someone  exceeded the recommended daily dose.
I wonder how reliable the claims about HRT are given the past  negative claims /misconceptions?

getting_old

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 07:21:51 PM »

As I said, statistics can always be made to prove / disprove any theory depending on the desired outcome. Plus they are saying it's a risk, not a definite outcome.

discogirl

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2022, 07:25:30 PM »

there is also some research that shows women low in estrogen can cause tinnitus.

sometimes it can be something as simple as the ageing process unfortunately xxxx