Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Conti HRT top up with Gel or patch anyone ?  (Read 1292 times)

warwick01

Conti HRT top up with Gel or patch anyone ?
« on: September 19, 2022, 04:51:23 PM »

Hi Ladies

Just a quick question. Can you add extra pump of gel or low dose patch if you are already using an oral conti HRT such as Femoston conti ?? anyone had success doing this??

Thanks Wx

Mary G

Re: Conti HRT top up with Gel or patch anyone ?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 08:20:07 PM »

Yes, I did it for a couple of years.  I was taking Angeliq oral HRT which was pretty ineffectual so I topped up the oestrogen dose with a 50mcg patch.   It was fine as far as womb lining protection was concerned but the strong synthetic progesterone was cancelling out the benefits of the oestrogen so I switched to Oestrogel which I found to be much more effective.

To give you an idea, Angeliq has 1mg oestrogen and 2mg synthetic progesterone in Europe but the US version has a 2mg oestrogen/2mg progesterone dose so it probably works better.

I would definitely give it a try.

warwick01

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 06:43:58 AM »

Hi Mary G

I was ok on Angelique and did like it. I am currently trying Femoston conti but defiantly too low on estrogen. I think the progesterone suits me better than others so though of adding some gel. I am 63 so ideally don't want to increase oral route. I have had a couple of bleeds which is expected. I have more energy and joint pain has eased. However, anxiety and panic has returned this weekend so will try adding some gel and see what happens. I am on week 9 of Femoston ulta low. Was previously on 3 pumps of gel with 10 days Utro. I fed up of monthly bleeds now.

Thanks Wx

Mary G

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 04:23:16 PM »

Warwick01, you have nothing to fear by topping up with oestrogen because you are taking progesterone every day meaning you will bleed out if your womb lining was to start building up that is unlikely if you only use one pump of gel. 

I don't now much about Femoston but I'm assuming you are taking the 0.5mg dose?

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2022, 12:57:43 PM »

Hi.
My doctor told me I couldn’t top up my Femoston conti with another oestrogen.
I did this with sandrena gel, and caused a bleed. Which was the worst pain ever.
She did find out for me though, that I could double up my Femoston.
I’ve had no problems since.
xx

warwick01

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2022, 03:19:55 PM »

Hi Jillydoll

Thanks for your reply. Are you on 1mg Conti or the ultra low??

Thanx Wx

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2022, 04:19:36 PM »

Hi.

Started off on the 0:5mg, then went up to 1mg.
Then I felt I needed more oestrogen, so used left over sandrena, ( which I’d been on before the Femoston) and although it worked for me brilliantly, felt so much better, it caused a bleed. My understanding was that I’d been giving myself too much oestrogen and not enough progesterone, ( so not enough in the 1mg Femoston tablet to counter balance it).
My doctor told me not to do that, but I said I needed more oestrogen, so she found out for me, rang me back and said I could double up the Femoston conti.
I’m now on 2mg Femoston. Which is soooo much better.
Hope this helps. xx