Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hormonal acne  (Read 2812 times)

Rosie Roo

Hormonal acne
« on: September 13, 2022, 08:22:33 AM »

Hi ladies .. has anyone got any advice how to treat hormonal acne. Never suffered in my life, even as a teenager, but in the last month I've had a terrible breakout all over my chin and mouth area. Dr confirms its probably hormonal but didn't have any advice how to treat . Very unsightly .. really feel for any young adult putting up with this .
Has anyone used any products that have helped ?
Thank you x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hormonal acne
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2022, 09:29:42 AM »

Hi I vaguely remember topics about this.  MayB do a search to see any threads that pop up?  Clearasil liquid was common in my day, put onto cotton wool and wiped gently over the affected areas several times a day.  I would ask at the Pharmacy.

Teens get offered long term antibiotic treatment. 

CrispyChick

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2022, 10:06:21 AM »

I have a friend with this and she's on hard-core treatment as it affects her scalp badly. She she's a dermatologist.

She recommended the cereve range of face washes for my 14 year old son who is suffering badly.

I've just bought the one with 2 acids in it. One to hydrate, the other to clear out the pores.

I'll give this a go first. Next port of call is a pharmacy acid that kills off the bacteria.

And then, as CLKD says, they offer antibiotics. I'm not keen on that for him, so starting at the over the counter end.

Hope that helps x

C.C.

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2022, 03:14:30 PM »

I get the occasional breakout of 2 or 3 pimples (the ones under the skin) on my chin. I was using Neutrogena Ultra Gentle wash for acne-prone skin.  It was ok, then I switched to Cerave moisturizing cleanser and it's better at moisturizing my skin. Haven't had a breakout in weeks.

Rosie Roo

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2022, 04:05:26 PM »

Thank you ladies !
Off to boots then … cant believe its quite painful and sore , and of course unsightly xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2022, 04:42:20 PM »

I would wear my C-19 mask ;-).  That way no one will notice.  Let us know what is advised?

Diamonds and pearls 53

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2022, 08:24:00 PM »

Rosie Roo, you could have a look, at Dermatica, it's an online service that l've read lots of good things about, but l think  Boots sells its skin care products now too.

Rosie Roo

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2022, 06:40:50 AM »

Thank you so much ! X

discogirl

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2022, 08:33:40 AM »

Hi Rosie Roo,

When my daughter was a teenager she had a bit of acne and had to go on accutane, a really strong drug.

Don't know if it would be any good for you, but first step as has been suggested would be maybe to go to your GP to get a referral to a Dermatologist.

Hope your bearing up

xxx

Ju Ju

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2022, 04:11:26 PM »

I suffered from this in my 40s and then again in my 50s. I too never suffered from acne in my teens, very dry skin. I was prescribed antibiotics, which had no effect but did havoc with my digestive system. It faded on its own eventually. The 2nd time, I was told it was called Rosacea. I ignored it as best I could and again it eventually settled down. I’ve always used gentle face cleansers because of my dry skin and used Clinique Redness solutions to counteract the redness and my embarrassment. Make up helped reduce the redness, but I had to be very careful with cleansing. The good news is that I no longer have the problem in my 60s, though I can see slight redness where it was. Sad to see my daughter having similar problems and she had teenage acne.

Rosie Roo

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2022, 07:55:49 PM »

Thank you ju ju for your kind words . I do feel for any young person having to put up acne …
Thank you , i was suffering with quite dry skin everywhere but acne on the face is horrible x

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2022, 08:50:21 PM »

Hi Rosie Roo. Have you been referred to a dermatologist? My GP diagnosed hormonal acne but it was papulopustular rosacea. Totally different treatment for those two things. I find it upsetting that your GP offered no help when there are definite treatments for both of these conditions. My pharmacy was really helpful when I was floundering.

Taz x

Rosie Roo

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2022, 07:34:47 AM »

Thank you Taz2 
No the gp didnt refer me .. to be honest he was quite dismissive and his words were just “ probably hormonal “ … I've actually googled imaged what you had … and my so called acne looks very similar 🥴
So thank you for your comments !! I am going to go and make an appt with a dermatologist . Thank you !

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2022, 08:51:00 AM »

Glad to be of help. There are different kinds of rosacea and the dermatologist will be able to advise properly.

Taz x

Rosie Roo

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2022, 09:28:11 AM »

Thank you x
Pages: [1] 2