Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Help Needed - Bit Desperate  (Read 1231 times)

discogirl

Help Needed - Bit Desperate
« on: September 13, 2022, 04:15:35 AM »

Hi all,

I've been on HRT since 25th August; before that my anxiety and insomnia were horrific. I'd always previously been a really good sleeper. After a few days on HRT my sleep pattern started to return to normal, and it has stayed like that, until last night, I literally have not slept at all.

I know its early days however after a few days on HRT my sleep pattern did return to normal. I'm on 25mcg estraderm and 100mg utrogestan orally, which I take in the mornings as it didn't seem to help me sleep.

I'm thinking that maybe I'm not absorbing enough estrogen through the patch and I'm thinking of asking my GP to put me on gel, and I'm also thinking of changing utrogestan to the vaginal route as I understand there are less side effects from the progesterone the vaginal route.

Any advice would be grateful as I cannot have the insomnia back it nearly drove me suicidal.

Thanks xxx

Dotty

Re: Help Needed - Bit Desperate
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2022, 06:30:12 AM »

Hi I think it would be better to increase the strength of the patch. Your problem is likely to be not enough oestrogen xx

discogirl

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2022, 06:36:36 AM »

thank you for replying I felt so alone.

I know it's silly but I've always slept well, then since february insominia nearly sent me over the edge.

So I went on HRT with high hopes and my sleep has been great since I've been on it.

I'm a bit wary of increasing my estrogen so soon, what do you think?

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2022, 07:02:24 AM »

Hi discogirl …. You’re never alone on here. There’s always someone to help and we’ve all been where you are.

Insomnia is horrendous. Mine was awful. It does take a long time to cure. Insomnia was one of the last of my symptoms to disappear.

A 25mg patch is a very low dose but it might be enough for you. Do you have other symptoms? Is the hrt helping them? xxx

discogirl

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2022, 07:05:13 AM »

Well it seems to be helping the anxiety but I think that's because my sleeping pattern, well, since I went on HRT has been somewhat normal.

I don't really have hot flushes or night sweats anymore

xxx

Nicodemus

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2022, 08:26:30 AM »

I think it's often the flushes and sweats that are the first to disappear when HRT is started, certainly was the case with me.

The insomnia could be a one off or it might be that you need more oestrogen as 25 is quite low. I'm not sure that switching from patch to gel would make a difference. Progesterone is also important for sleep. It's probably worth discussing with your GP if the insomnia continues. I'm sorry you're going through this - I had (non hormone related) insomnia on and off for years and I know how debilitating it can be when it goes on for weeks at a time.

discogirl

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2022, 08:28:55 AM »

thanks nicodemus for your reply

i appreciate your advice

xx