Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Advice if possible please  (Read 1845 times)

N5ECY

Advice if possible please
« on: August 31, 2022, 03:19:14 PM »

Just wondered if anyone could advise please. I had a hysterectomy 20 years ago and muddled through with hrt off and on. Had my ovaries out 7 years ago. Wow that was like hitting a brick wall. I went back on Hrt but then there were supply issues so I've not had hrt for 2 years. My night sweats are ongoing and I have constant oily skin and hair. My gp agreed to amitriptyline 10mg which I was taking for nerve pain and found it helped me to sleep but I've just stopped that as it is linked to hair loss. Over the years when I've asked gp for hrt she has made comments like 'well you will still have to go through menopause at some point' or 'but you look so well!'. So im reluctant to ask again. I've just started sage again but I wonder if I should just not take anything in the hope that this will bring an end to these symptoms more quickly. Also the oily skin is dreadful. Could I be lacking in something. I'm reluctant to ask gp for anything as they're so unhelpful. I asked for a blood test once. The answer was 'why, you're obviously going through menopause!'  Thanks everyone

Gnatty

Re: Advice if possible please
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2022, 04:32:21 PM »

Plus you have had your ovaries out. Me too and I intend to stay on hrt for ever. Even in menopause, ovaries do kick out a bit of stuff and of course we don't get that benefit.

laszla

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2022, 04:53:49 PM »

I despair of these dismissive and badly informed GPs... As Gnatty says, you can stay on HRT for good but you clearly have bad/no support - is there any way you could see another GP or get a referral to a meno clinic?
You can also get your own blood tests with medichecks which will arm you with the information you need on your hormone levels to move forward.

N5ECY

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2022, 04:54:42 PM »

Thank you. Yes I think I will ask for hrt. I can't honestly remember the last time I even had a reasonable sleep. And I do this thing where I fall asleep and approx 20 mins after I wake right up! Presumably the oily skin is a symptom too although I seem to just read about people having  dry skin. It's total pants being a women isn't it. God knows how men would cope.

N5ECY

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2022, 04:58:51 PM »

Iazla I think there's a couple of new female Gps at my practice. I will ask to see one of those. I hate to diss anyone but one of the other gps told me to pop a hrt patch on one of my boobs. I swear. Luckily I knew not to.

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2022, 06:46:19 PM »

How old are you? Even without symptom control you should be on it at least until your early 50s to protect your heart and bones - and you gp really ought to know that. Good luck, it sounds as though you may need it. My insomnia was caused by oestrogen deficiency so hopefully it will improve that too.

N5ECY

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2022, 06:52:09 PM »

Hi Sheila. I'm 59. Hysterectomy was 20 years ago. Ovaries removed 7 years ago. I've had hrt off and on since 2009 when symptoms started. More off than on I think but things got worse since my ovaries were removed obviously. It seems as though I need some more hrt doesn't it.

flossie fiddler

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2022, 10:05:58 AM »

It’s awful that it’s such a battle with GPs to get our HRT, isn’t it? I had a really awful telephone consultation with a GP, who it turned out was a locum. She was rude, initially refused to let me have HRT again as I’d been on it for 5 years previous to the 2.5 years I’d been off it for. Also told me I can’t go on it while I’m using Vagifem. I ended up arguing with her on the phone. She eventually agreed to give me a poxy 1 month supply of Evorel Conti, but only if I agreed to stop using Vagifem..

After I cam off the phone I had a little cry, but then picked myself up and rang the surgery and asked to speak to the practice manager. Told her what a battle it had been, and also that it was my belief that the GP wasn’t clued up on the latest information, including the recently updated NICE guidelines regarding how long we can use HRT for. The upshot was that the practice manager made me an appointment with a menopause nurse at another practice, who was brilliant.

It’s so hard when our emotions are low anyway due to hormonal imbalance. Keep trying. HRT is yours if you need it. You need to get to speak to someone who understands. And if you have an hour to spare, listen to the James Smith/Louise Newson podcast (Google it, you’ll find it). I listened and it gave me the strength to ring the practice back and fight my corner.

I hope you get sorted out soon xx

flossie fiddler

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2022, 10:10:35 AM »

This is the podcast link. https://thejamessmithpodcast.libsyn.com/64-surviving-menopause-with-dr-louise-newson

One part that resonated with me is when she spoke to her husband about what happens if a man has to have testicles removed. They wouldn’t dream of sending him home without any HRT. Yet women have ovaries removed and are expected to get on with it with out any hormones, unless they ask for it. Shocking, eh?

N5ECY

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2022, 11:17:14 AM »

Thanks I will certainly listen to that.

Saw GP yesterday. A man. He said that it wasn't deemed safe to use hrt at my age due to cardiovascular risk (can't remember exact words but that was the gist). He asked if I had tried antidepressants in the past which I had but they made me feel flat. He suggested Propranolol which is a betablocker.

In all fairness he spent a lot of time asking me about my symptoms which are night sweats (not as severe as they used o be)and severe anxiety at night which stops me getting back to sleep. I've had a terrible stressful year with my poor 95 year old mum who broke her hip in Feb. Couldn't see her hospital due to covid restrictions. She nearly died and now is in a care home and wishes she had died. Think all this has finally caught up with me.

I'm happy to give the propranolol a try as gp thinks it will help with anxiety but don't worry ladies I will go back if no improvement.

Mary G

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2022, 12:02:19 PM »

NSECY, I have no hesitation in saying what I would do in your situation, I would source HRT myself.  You could wait for this doctor to prescribe it but how long have you got?  I would try to get a consultation with a pharmacy that can prescribe/supply it.   

You have had a hysterectomy so HRT is easy for you because you don't necessarily need progesterone although some women use transdermal progesterone for sleep and anxiety. 

I'm sure one pump of Oestrogel would make you feel much better and get rid of your symptoms.   I'm 61 and find that dose works well.

I would start with HRT and only take additional medication like ADs and propranolol if needed.

N5ECY

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2022, 12:23:41 PM »

Mary thank you. I didn't know you could do that at a pharmacy? Is it just the normal ones you see on the high street. I work for the NHS and have done for a long time. I remember years ago there used to be hrt clinics at gp surgeries. Nothing now. We have been put on the back burner

sheila99

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2022, 12:27:44 PM »

I would complain to the practice manager. He is well behind the times. The NICE guidelines used to say stop at 60 but now there is no age limit. As you have no need of progesterone if you use transdermal oestrogen there is no (or very litlke) risk. ADs are not an appropriate treatment for menopause (also in the guidelines). Anxiety and insomnia are classic symptoms of oestrogen deficiency. There is no need to suffer when appropriate treatment is available. Stories like this make me so cross.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2022, 12:31:28 PM »

:bang: :bang: :beat:  same here.  That GP is either way behind the times or trying to save the surgery money!  I would also ask for a copy of where he gets his info from: hrt at my age due to cardiovascular risk. Actually: HRT protects heart and bone health!!!

A word with the Practice Manager.  Also ask for a referral to a menopause clinic referral - not to a gynaecologist as they aren't much better!

N5ECY

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2022, 12:44:45 PM »

Oh heck. Thank you. I will contact them next week. I'll take the betablocker over the weekend just to see what happens. I'm so fed up of this. Been like this since 2009. I hope to god it is sorted when my daughter reaches her menopause
Pages: [1] 2