Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Advice re oestrogel and utrogestan  (Read 800 times)

jd0072

• First Flush
Advice re oestrogel and utrogestan
« on: August 25, 2022, 06:19:50 PM »

I start with patches but was bleeding on and off doctor said she thought i needed more estrogen and has put me on 2 pumps oestrogel and daily utrogestan tablets (more than 12 months with no bleed).   The night sweats stopped very fast concentration is better but i am getting about 1 migraine every 1-2 weeks.  After about 6 months i realised that i shouldn't be putting 2 pumps in same place and am now doing 1 on inside go thigh and 1 on outside of upper arm - since then breast very tender.  I ran out of utrogestan and it took 3 days for pharmacist to dispense it - so i though best not to do the oestrogel until i got the utrogestan tablets - this has caused very dark small about of dried type blood (sorry for graphic detail but best i can describe it).  I now have the tablets so intend to start back on them tonight but the dark blood is this normal?  Also am wondering if i should reduce to 1 1/2 pumps due to headaches - my energy levels are all over the place - loads of energy one day and exhausted the next libido still very low too - any help or suggestions much appreciated.  The doctor said when i last spoke about libido and energy perhaps a could and maybe testosterone - any comments or advice on this?  Thanks

Hurdity

Re: Advice re oestrogel and utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2022, 04:02:03 PM »

Hi there jd - your migraines may be due to ongoing side effects from continuous progesterone, especially re energy/fatigue. Personally I wouldn't put gel on upper arm near breast especially if this is leading to tenderness though the spec does say you can - all the other products patches and gels say lower abdomen. Having said that an increase in systemic oestrogen levels can cause temporary breast tenderness so may have nothing to do with where you applied it.

Another cause of breast tenderness is a natural cycle resuming ie you may not have been post-menopausal despite 12 months without a period? How old are you and how long was it since your last natural period before you started HRT?

Yes if you stopped the utrogestan this can cause spotting or a bleed if there is any lining built up.

If you are getting all those headaches you might prefer to take the utrogestan cyclically and then you will get a predictable bleed and then if you suffer pms then hopefully your headaches/migraines will only be once a month as mine used to be on HRT.

I would sort out your oestrogen and progesterone before thinking about testosterone personally and I can't comment on the effect of T in women who take progesterone continuously. I am still on a cycle in late 60's and take T every day.

Hope you manage to sort it so you feel better soon

Hurdity x

jd0072

• First Flush
Re: Advice re oestrogel and utrogestan
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2022, 09:20:55 PM »

Thank you hurdity - ive had minuscule amounts of dried blood (im going to read the oestrogen leaflet again re where to apply - i definitely feel better in terms of mental ability - i have my hrt review with doctors next week so will go through everything with he doctor then im wondering if i should maybe go down to 1 1/2 pumps.  I relay feel that i need to overhaul my diet and start exercising more as i think that will definitely make me feel better too.