Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Heavy bleed , palpitations lasting hours  (Read 736 times)

Battyboo

Heavy bleed , palpitations lasting hours
« on: August 25, 2022, 12:56:22 PM »

Hi I am postmenopausal

Started hrt gel 2 pumps plus 100mg Utrogestan nearly 3 months ago , yesterday I had a very heavy bleed , plus today having a slight headache, and palpitations non stop for  2 hours I haven't  had periods for longer than a year ,
Is this normal? I can't get through to gp so can someone please answer , worried

Flossieteacake

Re: Heavy bleed , palpitations lasting hours
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2022, 12:59:01 PM »

Hello Battyboo. I can understand you are worried. How are the palpitations now?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 01:33:19 PM »

When was your last period?

Any bleeding should be reported to the GP.  U may need a scan to check the lining thickness of the womb.

R U able to send an e-mail to the surgery?  Or mayB ring the Pharmacist attached to the Pracitice, it's usually Lloyds.

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 01:36:14 PM »

It could be because of the double dose of progesterone that you were taking. x

joziel

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2022, 01:44:53 PM »

If you are bleeding within the first 6 months of starting HRT, you definitely don't need a referral or a scan to check anything. It is very normal, if a pain in the derriere.

With the palpitations... welcome to the Palpitation Club.  ::) 

Both bleeding and palpitations can be caused by either too high estrogen or a sudden change which your body isn't used to. I'd suggest reducing your estrogen to 1 pump to begin with, for 12wks, and seeing if this helps bleeding and palpitations...

If you are already post-meno with low estrogen and you start right in with 2 pumps (which is a 50 patch equivalent), it might just be too much of a sudden change.

Battyboo

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2022, 03:15:02 PM »

Hi all thank you so much for the reassuring messages.
I hadn't had a period for a 18 months , started on 1 pump gel ,100mg Utrogestan 3 months ago , I upped it after 2 months , tried 200mg utro for 3 days then reverted back  to 100mg .

Apoogies (The bleeding is heavy with lvery large blood clot )so  is this normal ?
Palpitations still as bad 4 hours in and slight headache

« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 03:17:53 PM by Battyboo »

Flossieteacake

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2022, 03:17:32 PM »

Hi all thank you so much for the reassuring messages.
I hadn't had a period for a 18 months , started on 1 pump gel ,100mg Utrogestan 3 months ago , I upped it after 2 months , tried 200mg utro for 3 days then reverted back  to 100mg .

Apoogies (The bleeding is heavy with lvery large blood clot )

You do not need to apologise. Did you get through to the DR?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2022, 03:21:41 PM »

:tulips2:

joziel

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2022, 04:16:56 PM »

Battyboo, I have palpitations every night through the entire night - which has been going on for months. So you've got my sympathy there, but I can also tell you it's unlikely to be anything serious besides a reaction to the hormones. But of course, good to get checked out especially if it continues.

So my question would be... why did you increase the gel from 1 pump to 2 pumps after 2 months? Did you still have symptoms remaining?

If the bleeding is v heavy, best to get in touch with your GP. There is a chance the estrogen can activate fibroids and cause them to grow again - and fibroids can cause bleeding. So you probably need to be referred for a scan.