Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 1059 times)

PlanetClaire

• First Flush
« on: August 16, 2022, 11:50:39 AM »

Hi everyone. My doctor called me yesterday to let me know the results from my blood tests and he was so grave about it, I really thought I was going to be told I didn't have much time left to live! But in fact, as I suspected, I'm now in the menopause. He's sent me a link to this site to find out more.

I have asked for HRT because my ankles and arms ache so much, plus I'm so lethargic to the point that I'm struggling to do all the things I need/want to do. I was told all of the possible side effects (that listed all but certain death) but still asked for it. Does it make you put on weight? I've already put on 2 stone over the last couple of years and I'm upset about that. I was never skinny, but I'd always maintained an OK weight all of my life. I used to run half marathons and exercise loads, but now my daily jog is a struggle and I end up walking a lot - I just ache and feel so tired. Where did my energy go?

One friend told me that HRT for her was like magic and she got her energy back. Many of my other friends just haven't taken anything for it and struggled through, but they seem mostly to have hot flushes which so far, I've not had. And one friend told me "it's s*** and then you die". Awesome.

Flossieteacake

Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2022, 12:16:39 PM »

Hello PlanetClaire. Welcome to the forum. I am impressed your GP was knowledgeable enough to send you here.  :)

HRT is different for everybody and I find everybody will have different side effects and experiences. My advise to you is to try it and see how you go. So many women do not sail through menopause hence this forum. It can put on weight for some people but for others it does not. I can understand your concerns but you will not really know until you try it.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2022, 01:48:44 PM »

Welcome.  Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use to chart progress.

Has your GP done a full blood count to include VitD levels and thyroid function because not everything should be blamed on peri-menopause.

As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains, as well as the body may become dry: inside and out; deep in the ears, nostrils, eyes, vagina, bladder issues, skin ....... browse round.  Make notes!

Ayesha

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2022, 02:09:45 PM »

Why do doctors do that, frighten the bleedin' life out of us  :)

Welcome, you will find tons of valuable information here, not the easiest website to search but everything you need to know re the menopause is here along with the most helpful and knowledgeable women.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 02:19:08 PM by Ayesha »

PlanetClaire

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2022, 05:23:52 PM »

Welcome.  Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use to chart progress.

Has your GP done a full blood count to include VitD levels and thyroid function because not everything should be blamed on peri-menopause.

As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains, as well as the body may become dry: inside and out; deep in the ears, nostrils, eyes, vagina, bladder issues, skin ....... browse round.  Make notes!

I did do blood tests and was told all was good, except for that I'm now in menopause - but as I'm 51, it's not a shock.

And thanks for the info, this explains why my eyes have been dry lately.

PlanetClaire

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2022, 05:25:03 PM »

Thanks everyone for the welcome! It feels good to be in the company of people happy to chat about it.

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2022, 05:54:25 PM »

Hi PlanetClaire.   :)

Taz x  :welcomemm: