Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Early and Late postmeno & Oestrogen  (Read 1366 times)

KarineT

Early and Late postmeno & Oestrogen
« on: August 03, 2022, 07:32:13 PM »

Hello,

I"ve read somewhere that the ovaries continue to produce oestrogen for another 1 to 2 years in early postmeno women. Is it androgen that is produced by the ovaries at this time and it gets converted into oestrogen?  In late postmeno women, apparently, it's the hormone called estrone, another form of oestrogen, produced
by the adrenal glands and fatty tissue.  Does this mean that, when oestrogen is no longer being produced by the ovaries,  late postmeno women are more likely to see their symptoms increase? What is considered early postmeno?  Is it between 1 and 3 years after the last period or more?

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 07:35:03 PM by KarineT »

Marchlove

Re: Early and Late postmeno & Oestrogen
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2022, 08:11:10 PM »

Quick reply to your great new thread.

In answer to you first 2 questions and one point, from what I’ve read, yes this is correct.
Also, from what I’ve read, it’s estrone, produced in the adrenals, that cause many symptoms.
The adrenals are trying to compensate for lack of estradiol and estriol.
Bizarrely, today I discovered there is a fourth estrogen - E4! Which is in Stage 3 trials for MHT.

I don’t have any useful information to impart  of your last 2 questions, but lots of members do, so hopefully they will be along soon.

Great thread, thank you x

KarineT

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 08:28:56 PM »

Thanks Marchlove.

I posted this because I think this could be the reason why some postmeno women see their symptoms increase.

Hopefully, it doesn't happen to everyone of us and I do hope that I fall in the category of women whose symotoms improve.  I will be 3 years postmeno in January 2023.

Marchlove

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2022, 09:24:42 PM »

Adrenals are key x

joziel

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2022, 10:01:58 AM »

I thought estrone was produced by body fat, which is why thinner women can suffer more - as they are not getting this (less good but still something) estrogen?

And also, the ovaries produce very very small amounts of estrogen during post-menopause allegedly. At least, according to Lara Briden. And androgens. It's one of the reasons she recommends keeping them where possible if having a hysterectomy.

KarineT

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2022, 11:11:36 AM »

Hi Joziel,

I think the adrenal glands sort of take over once the ovaries stop producing  most of the oestrogen.

I am fortunate as I haven't had a hysterectomy or oopherectomy.. I can only imagine it must be even harder for those who had one.

One thing for sure, one doesn't know if symptoms will improve or get worse in late postmeno until they get to that stage.

Sometimes I wonder what life would be like if there was no such thing as the menopause.

joziel

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2022, 11:12:38 AM »

For sure it would be very different if we were routinely having babies at 70  ;D ;D ;D

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2022, 03:09:56 PM »

For sure it would be very different if we were routinely having babies at 70  ;D ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D

KarineT

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2022, 09:47:12 PM »

I wouldn't want to have a baby at 70.  Having one at that age would probably be high risk. The menopause could be protecting us in that sense. But let's just say that, in an ideal world, we would no longer be releasing an egg every month but the ovaries would continue to pump oestrogen out so that there would be no meno symptoms. That would be fantastic. But that's wishful thinking unfortunately.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 09:50:32 PM by KarineT »