Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Out of curiosity  (Read 1265 times)

Weeloz

Out of curiosity
« on: July 30, 2022, 03:27:44 PM »

If you don't mind me asking Which hrt are you on, how long have you been on hrt  and how you do doing with  it 're side effects etc. I am just curious as I am Thinking of going back on hrt but not sure which one to choose . I have a lot of anxiety and trying to get my head around it . I read so much bad but good things too about hrt so trying to decide 🙄

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Out of curiosity
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2022, 03:30:41 PM »

Afternoon!  Is the anxiety a long term problem or connected with the worry about possible side effects with HRT?

Which symptom would you like to ease first? Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use to chart progress.

My 1st panic attack was at age 3.  I've had various types of Anti-anxiety treatments since the 1980s, as well as using Bachs Rescue remedy mouth spray.

HRT can be Trial and Error  ::).  I do suggest that you read the 'bladder issues' and threads regarding vaginal atrophy ;-).  4 warned if 4 armed.

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2022, 04:35:34 PM »

For every hrt there will be many people who think it's wonderful and a few that have bad side effects. Unfortunately you can't tell what will suit you until you try. I'm on gel/utro and get fatigue on utro. No side effects on evorel sequi until I developed an allergy to the glue so had to change. Been on it for 4 years and no intention of stopping.

joziel

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2022, 07:43:22 PM »

I think the best place to start is with one of the transdermal options for estrogen (gel, patch or spray) and body identical progesterone - utrogestan.

That may not suit you and you might end up changing but research suggests it is best for us, overall, if it can work for you.

Weeloz

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2022, 09:49:34 PM »

Thank you . I have everol Conti patches and Femseven patches but not sure which ones would be best . I was on everol Conti for a few months came off then because of bleeding and have been off hrt for 6weeks . The doctor prescribed femseven to try but I haven't yet

Stella2

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2022, 08:12:42 AM »

I have also been anxious about what is the best HRT to take and researched. I started with Sandrena and Utrogestan 7 months ago and switched to Estradot patch and Utrogestan couple of months ago. This is because I some hot flushes started reappering early in the morning again. I didn't want a conti patch because of the synthetic progesterone. Overall not many side effects, but my breasts get tender at stages and that worries me a bit. I must say that HRT is not a cure for everything, it did not stop my joint pain - but i have arthritis so that can't be resolved with HRT. The main issue was horrendous hot flushes and that stopped  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2022, 09:03:18 AM »

Morning.  HRT needs time to 'work', 4-6 months minimum for some.  As well as the dose tweaking.

Arthritic pain can be relieved with appropriate OTC medication .  As well as gentle exercise to keep joints moving.  Stella - are your breasts more tender at the time of your period? 

Let us know how you get on?

Stella2

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2022, 09:32:30 AM »

Hi CLKD, I find excercise the best for managing arthritis and occasionally l need medication. Physio saved me.
I am post Meno so i think it might be too much estrogen that causes sore breasts.
Definitely agree, it takes time and some tweaking but it is worth it

ATB

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2022, 09:38:03 AM »

Hi Weeloz. I have been on HRT about 10 months. Started on gel and Utrogestan, added testosterone using Androfemme 8 weeks later, then I switched the gel to evorel patches about 3/4 months in and got on much better with those than gels. I got a few effects that seemed like too much estrogen and tests indicated that too so I reduced my patch at month 7 and feel much better since. I feel like the two weeks of lower estrogen in the first half of my cycle I am still too tired and slightly more anxious so I may need a bit more then, but we are waiting to see if it is necessary as I have had covid recently. It can be hard to really know sometimes when other factors affect our hormones so I try to wait as long as possible before tweaking anything. I found therapy the most beneficial thing for my anxiety, which was quite bad and is still a work in progress.

joziel

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2022, 09:55:46 AM »

Weeloz, both the patches you mention there are combined patches with both estrogen and a progestin in them. Whilst this seems simpler at first glance (and probably why regular GPs prescribe them so much) I don't think it's the best place to start - or it wasn't for me.

The progestin in them is synthetic/human-made, as compared to the body identical progesterone utrogestan. Research suggests that utrogestan is actually good for our health in many different ways (bone health, breast health/risk, dementia, and often mood/sleep). Whereas the synthetic progestins have many negative effects on health.

The other more practical issue is it's very common for women to need more estrogen than is in the combined patches (which only provide 50mcg - which is actually too much for me, but anyway  ;D ) And then things can get complicated because you could add in gel separately - but some GPs don't believe there is enough progestin in the combined patch for anything more than the estrogen it comes with. So what do you do then... add more separate progestin? Really most women end up being switched again (more change) to a separate estrogen and progesterone.... so why not start with them separate to begin with, then you can tailor things exactly how you need them...

Nicodemus

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2022, 10:14:01 AM »

I'm on Evorel patches and have been since May so it's early days. Went on it mostly to deal with migraines but I was also having night sweats. No change yet on the migraines but the night sweats have gone. I had one side effect (headaches) but they were minor and had gone after about a month. Also I haven't had any difficulty getting the patches from pharmacies which may be a consideration.

Possibly worth mentioning: if you go on Evorel Sequi it counts as 2 medications so you pay the prescription charge twice. But if you're in peri you would almost certainly be on oestrogen and progesterone anyway so would be paying for 2 things unless you have Mirena as the progesterone part. It could be worth getting a prepay certificate if you aren't entitled to free prescriptions.

I'm also on localised oestrogen for vaginal atrophy but you probably don't need to worry about that unless you're having symptoms such as peeing a lot, burning, itching or dryness down there, or if the labia look as though they have shrunk.

joziel

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2022, 10:20:10 AM »

Just to say... I think the whole prescription charge thing is changing very soon, in 6 months or something, so I wouldn't choose your HRT based on that... soon there will be one flat charge for it all.

KarineT

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 AM »

Hi Weeloz,

How long were you on HRT for? How long has it been since you stopped?  Why did you stop?  Did it give any side effects?  Are you peri ot post?  Are you thinking of going back on it because the symptoms returned?

Sorry about all the questions but I just want to know in case I decide to go the HRT route.

Thanks

Karine