Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Been prescribed combined pill for peri-menopause  (Read 829 times)

SunnyB

Been prescribed combined pill for peri-menopause
« on: July 26, 2022, 08:28:38 AM »

Hello..
I'm just wondering if anyone been prescribed the combined pill (in my case Eloine) as opposed to HRT to help control irregular periods with heavy bleeding and mood swings, as well as provide contraception? (These are my main symptoms at the moment along with some other mild symptoms). I've been told I can take it until I'm 50 (I've just turned 47)

Dierdre

Re: Been prescribed combined pill for peri-menopause
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2022, 09:25:30 AM »

My sister was given the mini pill for heavy bleeding mid 40"s and took it until post menopause.  I think the Mirena coil is the better option now though for heavy bleeding.

Nicodemus

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2022, 09:43:04 AM »

I was given desogestrel (mini pill) when I was 47 to try and stop my periods (because of migraines rather than heavy bleeding) and it did eventually. I was offered Mirena first but refused it. A friend is on Mirena for heavy periods and hers have stopped.

What are the other symptoms you have?

joziel

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2022, 10:36:44 AM »

You can take HRT with desogestrel POP/mini pill for contraception.

OR you can have the Mirena coil fitted for contraception and the progesterone of HRT and then just add in estrogen.

I wouldn't want the combined pill as a first choice option, because it has synthetic estrogen and progesterone, rather than the body identical hormones of HRT.

TJ1313

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2022, 05:54:22 PM »

I am on sequential HRT and also the mini pill (norgeston) to help with my heavy periods x