Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Dryness and sore  (Read 1832 times)

Michele

Dryness and sore
« on: July 20, 2022, 10:52:12 AM »

Morning ladies,
I feel quite embarrassed to post this.
I’m after a little advice, over the last few weeks I’ve been bleeding heavy, resulting in changing pads and keeping myself very clean. The only problem is I’m very dry and sore now and down below is very red and painful and I wondered if anyone else has had this and could give me an idea of what sort of cream i need to use?
Many thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Dryness and sore
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2022, 11:00:27 AM »

Hi nowt is OTT on here, most of us have been there etc..

Have U stopped bleeding?  Do u use pads which can cause dryness? 

Aft the end of each heavy, painful period I would have a couple of days with nowt, then a brown discharge.  'normal' for me.  Any soreness on the inner legs etc. would get a treatment of nivea cream.

if the bleeding has stopped I would ask the GP/Nurse Practitioner for vaginal atrophy treatment.  This is used internally to ease dryness, it helps replace any oestrogen that may be lost as we age.  U don't need an examination unless the bleeding continues.  How R your periods behaving in general?

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary useful.  Let us know how you get on. 

Michele

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2022, 11:13:37 AM »

Hi there,
Thanks for your reply. I’m post menopausal, heavy bleeding has been a nightmare. I had some scans last month and they found a 5cm x 5cm x 5cm ovarian cyst which is causing some pain, also my endometrial lining is 11mm instead of between 2-4mm and another small growth on my lining.
Three weeks ago I had three biopsies done and a CA 125 blood tests they said because of Covid backlog the results would take up to 30 days so I’m still waiting to hear.

Michele

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2022, 11:16:14 AM »

Sorry I should have mentioned that I was on hrt but my consultant has taken me off it until we get the results back.

Ayesha

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2022, 11:20:57 AM »

You are in limbo until you get your results.
Do you use a feminine moisturiser like Sylk or Yes products, it might help in the meantime.
I hope you feel better and you will perhaps be able to use local treatment for Vaginal Atrophy. Keep us updated!

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2022, 11:34:42 AM »

In the mean time, do make a list of any worries to discuss when the results show up.

loulou2

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2022, 07:17:11 AM »

Hi Michele...

Sorry to hear of your problem, I have been on HRT for around 14 weeks now, Gel and progesterone tablet.  I started bleeding after around 11 weeks it stopped after a week and then started again 2 weeks later, I am having a scan tomorrow.  I found that using tampons again after 8 years post menopause was causing dryness and soreness, I have found the answer in coconut oil! I use it every morning and evening and also when inserting a tampon, it has worked for me.  Hope this helps other ladies in a simular situation xx

Michele

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2022, 09:06:51 PM »

Update on results
All of my biopsies and my blood test came back completely normal…I’m gutted!!! I was hoping they would find something, so that whatever it was could be put right. I’m guess now I’m left with what will be put down to an hormonal imbalance and left to bleed and be in pain for the next 15-20 years as they’ve said no further action needed, except a scan in four months time.
Does anyone here take Everil Conti patches that’s what I’m on.
I need to speak with either my gp, Gynae or hormone consultant but to be honest, one put my on hrt tablets, one took me off those and put me on patches and one took me off them. I really don’t know who to believe and trust anymore.
What I do know is my mental health has taken a massive nose dive and I’m at a stage where I could come off my anti depressants and hrt and say stuff it all, I feel crap anyway so why does it matter if I take them.
I desperate I just don’t know what to do anymore.
So sorry for the rant ladies, I’m spiralling into a black hole.

Friend of lhasaapso

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2022, 10:19:12 PM »

Hi Michelle  ,
 So sorry you're going through all of this ,no wonder you're feeling so fed up & exhausted .
  Just wondering when you had your last proper period ? If you're continuing to bleed so much your gps will really need to  give you some treatment or another type of hrt . Also have they taken bloods from you recently?
    Some women have the mirena coil as an option for progesterone side of things ,which is supposed to stop the bleeding .
     Please go back to your doc or a knowledgeable nurse practitioner to get further checks, as the bleeding could also lead to aneamia. 
     It may just be that the progesterone in the hrt you had didn't suit you  or that chopping and changing it &then stopping suddenly has caused the prolonged bleeding?
  It's reassuring though,that they didn't find anything untoward.
    Could the dryness& soreness be thrush ?due to imbalance in vaginal flora after bleeding?
    Please also don't suddenly stop the anti  depressants as it can make you feel even worse & symptoms may not be caused by them .
  Speak to your doctor or nurse &explain how you're feeling &hopefully they can find you a better fit with your hrt.
  Sending big virtual hugs, this roller coaster isn't easy .x

joziel

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2022, 09:06:19 AM »

It's really good that your tests came back normal.

As already said, ask if you can have the Mirena coil fitted. This is really good for stopping bleeding - most women stop bleeding by 6 months at least on it... It acts as the progesterone for your HRT as well so you just need the estrogen then.

As for the dryness and discomfort, you need to ask your GP for some Vagifem pessaries (for inside) and some Ovestin cream for the outside. Those are both local estrogen and can safely be used with HRT. 20% of women need both local estrogen and systemic HRT. From Amazon you can also get some YES OB moisturiser and use that on the outside. Mix it in with the Ovestin every day till it feels better. And YES VM is good internally on days you're not doing Vagifem.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2022, 11:41:08 AM »

It is negligent that members of the medical society gives too many variables.  A dedicated menopause clinic should give the correct information, discuss with the patient and send prescribing details to the GP.  Who may over ride especially if it's going to eat into the Surgeries budget !

Don't stop the AD.  When I am low I up my morning dose from 5mg to 10mg to add to the 10mg at night.  If after 5 days there is no improvement I would ring my GP for advice.  Thus far I haven't needed to do so.

What is upsetting you the most?  'finding something' probably wouldn't have made any difference to where you are now.  I would be tamping if I had too many variables!!!!

MayB make a list of your symptoms deciding which one you would like to ease first.  Where do you see the hormone consultant?