Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Getting bloods taken to test absorbtion of oestrogel  (Read 646 times)

Bungo

Getting bloods taken to test absorbtion of oestrogel
« on: July 16, 2022, 08:40:31 AM »

Have been taking oestrogel and utrogestan for almost 2 months now. So far so good as in no side effects, bar an initial 1kg weight gain. Also been taking vagifem for over 6 months.  Am 52 and late perimenopausal.The past week, have had vulval itch again ,which hadn't had since last February. Is this a sign Im not absorbing oestrogel or need an increase. Or could it take a while on hrt for all that to settle? I gues I don't really understand how oestrogel works and what it can take months for some symptoms to level off .  Anyway my question really is, if want to get my oestrodial levels tested at GP, should I use the oestrogel that morning or not? I know if they're high, that won't tell me much as could be my own levels rising. But if the oestrodial level was very low, this would surely imply I'm not absorbing? Or need a higher dose. Tbh with supply issues and cost, I don't think I can increase from the 2 pumps a day anyway.
The main reason Im taking is for my bone density  and sore feet and no improvement on feet yet

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Getting bloods taken to test absorbtion of oestrogel
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2022, 08:44:54 AM »

Vaginal issues are totally different to the rest of the body.  Atrophy presents in many ways: usually with repeated urine infection-type feelings which makes us need to pee a lot more.  Appropriate localised treatment is essential, either 'ovestin' or 'vagifem'.  There is another product which some find helps a little.  As well as using 'yes' or 'sylc' on the outer labial regions, the treatment will help.

Aches and pains may be part of diminishing oestrogen levels in that muscles become lax = aches and pains.  2 months is very early for the body to adjust, 3-6 months is a better guide unless symptoms really don't ease.

A good diet, gentle regular exercise and keeping hydrated is the best for bone health.  Not in this heat though!  Eating well also keeps the jaw bone in good condition which lessens the possibility of teeth loosening.  As with brisk walking, chewing activates bone .