Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Extreme heat  (Read 7416 times)

ATB

Re: Extreme heat
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2022, 08:45:12 AM »

Lyncola, whenever I’m in Australia I’m absolutely roasting and in hardly any clothes looking at all the Aussies in long sleeves walking around no problem. I guess you get used to it! My mum lived in Perth and didn’t ever mention worrying about her HRT.

Tora, yes I rescue cats and even when it’s tricky they’re soooo worth it. My little 1 year old was adopted in January, and she was feral and on the streets. So scared and a bit mad at first but it took her one week of ‘flooding’ with us and she turned into the most affectionate cat I’ve ever had! She kisses constantly, all over us and is right next to me now. Our big boy is still a highly nervous cat, we think maybe a bad experience with humans as he took 2 years to get used to my husband and child and would only come to me during that time, also full of kisses. He still freaks out when people come over but I don’t mind. When we are no longer in a rental I will get more and one day if we can afford the costs we plan an animal sanctuary. After the Ukraine war we are thinking we might rescue a dog from there, there’s so many needing homes right now but of course we can’t get to the border to help atm. I hate thinking of homeless animals! I also go out and rescue, well I did in London, as I have a scanner and equipment to rescue cats or dogs.

I feel bad I haven’t got water butts installed at this house yet. I should of done it by now and then the garden would be fine. I’m mad at myself for not organising it as it’s a strain on the system and I know better. I always had them in London.

ATB

« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2022, 08:45:46 AM »

;D Tora! Whatever happened to cause the boob damage?!?!

Tora

« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2022, 09:38:51 AM »

;D Tora! Whatever happened to cause the boob damage?!?!

I got belted by a piece of flying frozen banana! ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2022, 09:41:46 AM »

There was an article in the Sat papers about outdoor bathing areas: sounds good to me, laying, watching the stars ...... some have built huts in which to have a bath and shower unit, a bar plus somewhere to hang towels. ...... If global warming is to continue?  8)

CLKD

« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2022, 09:46:03 AM »

Some Zoos have closed: I think all should do so.  There are several agricultural shows continuing today into the weekend  >:(

ElkWarning

« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2022, 10:56:05 AM »

It is quite warm where I am at the mo.

I've taken a couple of days off work, as I don't fancy dealing with 100s of overheating kids.  It's a luxury that I can do this at the moment, won't be able to soon.

Planning an afternoon nap and to go and stand in the sea later - like at about 7pm.

ATB

« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2022, 11:00:04 AM »

Oh I miss living by the sea! Enjoy

Gilla999

« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2022, 11:44:53 AM »

My old boy cat is also a rescue off the street and I agree with you Tora, I'd never buy either. CLKD that's awful on the agricultural shows! ATB your experience sounds so similar to mine - it took me a long time to get mine to trust me to feed him outside, and it was a gradual process to get him indoors. But now he is the most affectionate, needy cat I have ever known. He would be happy to spend his entire life being cuddled!

Tora my air con unit was approx £200 and as Vanilla says it's just one where you stick the pipe out of the window. It works better than a fan but no where near as good as proper wall mounted air con (which works with a unit fixed outside). I've been coveting one of those online but you're getting into the £1k kind of numbers. Unfortunately it doesn't seem as though the hot summers down here in the South are going to change though, so I still think it's a worthwhile investment as I really struggle with heat.

I want an outdoor bathing area  ;D 

Wishing I lived by the sea today!

CLKD

« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2022, 11:53:45 AM »

Those units are so ugly and put hot air into the atmosphere, not very green as well as affecting the overall area of catchment.  Also, how much do they cost to run?  I have shut the windows and our fan is running, blocks of ice ready in the freezer should we require to put a bowl in front. 

The air outside is though it's blowing from a desert  :o

Dierdre

« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2022, 12:00:16 PM »

It reminds me of Lanzarote in a Calima today, just like the hot air blowing over from the Sahara desert. I'll be there in a couple of weeks, it's a lot cooler there at the moment.

CLKD

« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2022, 12:13:04 PM »

Watching the fires in Europe  :'(  :-\  :'( I do wonder if le Tour will continue.

Do we need to buy replacement drinks as we would if we had an upset?  Can't remember the name ....... with a loss of salts etc.?

ATB

« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2022, 12:36:37 PM »

Electrolytes? Yes good idea to, Google how to make your own, it’s basically water, juice, salt. I used to make mine when I did marathon running. You should have them when you fly too, instead of lots of water which can bloat you. Chia gel can also be helpful but the seeds are expensive!

Gilla999

« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2022, 12:55:05 PM »

They are indeed ugly, but it's the way every other home/business/building in hotter climates operates and I suspect as things continue will be more necessary over this way too. Can't comment on the green credentials but I'd be very happy to use anything greener if it existed. Unfortunately in 40 degree heat a fan doesn't cut it  :)

CLKD

« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2022, 01:00:38 PM »

Tnx ATB. 

Electrolytes, that's they.   8)

ATB

« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2022, 02:05:50 PM »

We should have more incentives to be at least semi self sufficient with power instead of depriving us of things that are going to be increasingly necessary. We are planning an off grid home at the moment, with proper storage it’s entirely possible. We are planning on triple glazing & straw insulation to limit need to heat the home so much.  I’m shocked at how expensive things like heat pumps are compared to other countries.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7