Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Confused and would like some thoughts please  (Read 1159 times)

Wannabewell

Confused and would like some thoughts please
« on: July 13, 2022, 02:47:41 PM »

Hi everyone,

I’m on cycle 15 of Oestrogel 3 pumps and Utrogestan 200mg 12 nights per month.

First off my mood isn’t as stable as when I first began and can get very low which seems to be cyclical.

Also, a weird thing happens when I’m on the oestrogen only weeks now, it’s like I completely dehydrate after holding water which causes loose crepey skin that is very dry, my mouth is really dry and bowels sluggish and really dry. Yet, I’m not too dry in the lady bits but not as comfortable as when I first began HRT.

With the shortage and delays I was worried about running out so where I’d normally not use the last bit of the bottle I did, would that have caused such issues?

It’s confusing as I was doing really well at one point and now it’s like I’m short of something, is it that I’m not on enough oestrogen or dies my body not like being without progesterone tablets?

I’m 53, when I began HRT I’d missed eight periods.  I’ve been having very light or nil bleeds whilst on the HRT.  Dunno if I’m menopause or not yet and I don’t know when or how I’ll know.

Any thoughts or information or advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks.  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Confused and would like some thoughts please
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2022, 03:05:45 PM »

One can still have bleeds caused by HRT so it's difficult to judge if one remains in peri.  The way to find out is to stop HRT however, it's probably better if a regime suits to continue and not be too bothered where one might be.

Many have problems with the progesterone part of HRT.  Perhaps put individually, the name of the products you are using into the search box to see if threads pop up.  Make notes ;-)

As oestrogen levels naturally drop the body may become dry: inside and out.  Loose creepy skin happens wether 1 is on an HRT regime or not.

Do U use anything to prevent vaginal dryness.

Wannabewell

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2022, 03:11:34 PM »

Hi CKLD  :)

Thanks for replying.  That’s good to know about the bleeding.

I’ll try a search regarding my products, thanks.

I don’t use anything for vaginal dryness, it’s been okay with the products I’m using up to now.

Just confused really as to why the low mood is back each month and the significant increase in dryness.

Thanks.

joziel

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2022, 04:16:17 PM »

You might be ready to move to a continuous HRT now. And you might also need an extra pump of Estrogel.

You could use some Vagifem (internal) and Ovestin (external) for dryness. You can use both together, along with systemic HRT.

Wannabewell

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2022, 05:21:08 PM »

Hi joziel  :)

Thanks for replying, that’s what I was wondering but, it seems to make sense doesn’t it.

My GP isn’t really knowledgeable about HRT but he does listen to what I say when we have a review so at least there’s that.

Thanks for the information regarding the vagifem and ovestin too.

joziel

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2022, 09:00:22 PM »

There's no downside to trialling continuous and seeing how it goes. The only thing that will happen is you'll keep getting breakthrough bleeding if you try to go to continuous too soon. And then you can go back to sequential if that happens.

You would have enough utrogestan to do it already because instead of taking 200mg for half the month, you take 100mg every night. So really you're taking the same amount, just divided differently.

Wannabewell

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2022, 10:20:54 AM »

Thanks for that, that’s good to know. I’ll think about trying that.

I’m just freaking out a bit at the moment because it’s literally like I got up one morning and my skin on arms and legs looked looser and thinner and dry? I’ve not lost weight, I maintain almost all the time.  Do you think it’s normal for this to happen when on HRT?

I feel like my body is thinner, it looks like I’ve lost weight fast and now some skin on lower arms and lower legs is crinkle looking.  So, I don’t know if it’s water loss or ??

So confusing.  I’d have thought on the oestrogen part of the HRT I’d be retaining water if anything?

Sorry for rambling but I’m anxious and my mind is all over the place.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2022, 10:28:49 AM »

I think your body was already in free fall, in that you suddenly noticed ........ I saw my upper arms yesterday in a mirror  :o but hey ho! I'm healthy in general.

Gentle moisturising is what I would suggest, first thing in the morning. 

joziel

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2022, 11:14:04 AM »

I haven't heard of that happening. But I noticed a few months ago that I have this sort of soft and less elastic skin. I noticed it before starting HRT and the loss of estrogen leads to collagen production massively decreasing, which in turn affects the skin in this way. I especially freaked about this one bit on my neck which is central and starting to occasionally look like it's sagging - having never had anything like that before.

I did buy some collagen, vitamin C, retinol, stuff for my face. (I like REN products and Green People. I am into natural stuff but it has to have effective ingredients too...).

Which is all to say, sadly I think this is part of aging. We can moisturise and use products to try to reduce it. And some people say that oral collagen also helps. I take this organic collagen powder daily dissolved in my coffee (can't taste it). No idea if it helps...

I've not heard of it related to hormone levels, but progesterone can cause water retention. So it's possible that when you are stopping the progesterone and are in estrogen only phase, you are losing that retained water leading to looser skin.

It's also possible you need some testosterone for muscle strength - even if you lose water, your muscles should remain. Do you work out? I really recommend the Fiit app from the app store. It's the only thing that gets me to work out.

Wannabewell

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2022, 05:32:27 PM »

CLKD  :)
Thanks, yeah likely that.  I also had a virus recently (on top of having I’ll health) which affected appetite and swallowing and pain in my mouth/jaw so I’ve not been able to eat properly (now I’m thinking about it, duh silly me) so that’s likely caused some weight loss.

Joziel  :)
Thanks, yeah doesn’t it freak you out when yo see it. Certain light highlights it too. I’ve never had anything like it before either and wasn’t ready for it .. even though I am 53.

Thanks for the advice regarding the creams and collagen and the testosterone, shall think about that.

As I mentioned above in reply to CLKD I have just realised that it may be weight loss due to recent acute illness.

I can’t exercise but do try to get up and move around as much as is possible.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2022, 05:35:14 PM »

Oestrogen loss is the cause of crinkllly arms etc..  Collagen supplements R rejected by the body ...... we read about it at the weekend, but can't remember where  :-\  ::)

joziel

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2022, 05:40:16 PM »

Oh lawdy, so collagen is a waste of time/money? Does that apply for using it on skin in moisturisers, or only orally taking it?