Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Blood tests for testosterone  (Read 765 times)

Sandie64

Blood tests for testosterone
« on: June 20, 2022, 08:12:59 PM »

Hi
I'm having bloods done tomorrow at my gp surgery to measure my testosterone levels and would like some information if possible please.
I am 58 and 11 weeks post total hysterectomy and bso and have been using Sandrena gel for 8 weeks.
The Sandrena has made a big difference to night sweats and I also feel a little calmer.
I am still left with zero libido, low mood and very painful hips and knees.  I have had a suggestion from someone on another thread to approach my gp for a trial of testosterone.  I have done this and have the test tomorrow,  I also asked for my estrogen to be tested.
My question is, how are blood tests measured for testosterone by the NHS.  What indicators am I looking for and at what levels to determine the need for testosterone.   
I think I am anticipating a 'within normal range answer, but normal for who, I may need more than someone else to function adequately.
Sorry for the long post but I want to go the gp appointment with the best information which is probably from here.
TIA

Marchlove

Re: Blood tests for testosterone
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2022, 09:21:35 PM »

Written I haste Sandie, but what your after is the FAI which stands for free androgen index.

https://www.gloshospitals.nhs.uk/our-services/services-we-offer/pathology/tests-and-investigations/free-androgen-index-fai/

So the need to measure total testosterone and SHBG (sex hormone binding globulin).

Get the test done then worry about what normal ranges are or in fact could be after hysterectomy.

Good luck x

Gnatty

Re: Blood tests for testosterone
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022, 06:22:35 AM »

I had the same op last summer. Testosterone makes a big difference to my wellbeing. As you probably know the ovaries make half of a woman's testosterone so you will now be only at half the amount you were used to. So try and get some if you can. I think you will find a big difference to your libido, energy levels muscle aches etc. Although said muscle aches can be helped too if you are on a large enough dose of oestrogen