Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Testosterone question  (Read 1594 times)

Hurdity

Re: Testosterone question
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2022, 07:56:04 AM »

The main point about all of this is that:

1) there is no licensed testosterone product for women available in UK (as stated Androfemme is very expensive and ony available on private prescription)
2) the NICE Guidelines make provision for the use of testosterone (preparations designed for men) OFF-LICENSE  for low libido and as far as I recall for women in whom standard HRT has not restored this.
3) Also need to bear in mind that oral oestrogen, and some anti-depressants also can depress libido so changes may need to be made here before adding testosterone
4) As far as I know there are NO studies investigating the use of exogenous testosterone (using the products made for men) in women for menopause - and this is woefully inadequate (please correct me if I'm wrong). Really we should not be having to use these products anyway - we should have our own gel product at appropriate concentration that does not rely on judging pea-szied blobs of testosterone products of different dose concentrations. It beggars belief that these studies are not being carried out nor that a product is being manfactured (maybe it is and studies have begun?)
5) There was once a patch called Intrinsa which was licensed and withdrawn some years ago - and there were studies carried out before licesning  - but we really need long term studies now....

In the meantime it is understandable that many GPs are uncomfortable prescribing it and especially for primary indications other than libido, however efficacious this may appear to be at first hand.

Something needs to be done! (we've known this for some time - and discussed it in 2011 soon after I first joined the forum)

Hope this helps

Hurdity x

Clarella

Re: Testosterone question
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2022, 11:18:26 AM »

Thanks Hurdity, I agree!

I was reading the Newson leaflet about testosterone. It’s interesting that they’re linking long covid with testosterone.

I looked up links to testosterone and cfs and it does seem that it can be given to men with cfs and also a small amount of research into testosterone and fibromyalgia.

I don’t think there’s anywhere near enough research into impact of female testosterone and also perhaps cfs, ME and long covid.

Is it true that they tend to prescribe testosterone more in France? Or even prefer it over oestrogen? I’ve heard that second hand so may not be true.
Pages: 1 [2]