Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: BBC news HRT shortage  (Read 1085 times)

Sazzle42115

BBC news HRT shortage
« on: May 21, 2022, 11:28:13 PM »

Male pharmacist being interviewed saying if women can't get their usual product they can just switch to whatever is available as all medications have been tested to high standard and ingredients the same....... except as we know women take sometimes a year to find symptom relief.

Kathleen

Re: BBC news HRT shortage
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2022, 10:32:35 AM »

Hello Sazzle42115

I also saw this news report and thought the Pharmacist clearly hasn't had many conversations with his customers. Or maybe he has and just didn't believe them when they told him about their experiences of different HRT preparations. He must wonder why women often change their prescriptions and experiment with different types of HRT, maybe he thinks they do all that for the fun of it!

Thankfully after the Pharmacist a woman was interviewed and made the point that these drugs are not so easily interchangeable so there was a voice of reason at the end!

Btw I am always irritated by people asserting the effects of drugs that they have never used and have no personal knowledge of. Actual experience is important, the map is not the territory!

Take care.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2022, 11:12:39 AM »

What Pharamcists are being allowed to do is to change a prescription if necessary, to save a patient going back to the GP which as we know, may take weeks!

KarineT

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2022, 04:08:15 PM »

A shortage of HRT? How ridiculous! Why is this?  There shouldn't be such thing. I'm wondering if it's the same in other countries.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2022, 04:52:29 PM »

MayB KarineT ask your Pharmacist, then write to your local MP.  Apparently some is in warehousing.  Some of the problem is due to the NHS not paying the asking price. 

Teresa

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2022, 05:55:10 PM »

Evorel75 patches are out of stock still where I am. I got the Pharmacy’s last box, last week. The Boots Prescription checker is sadly out of date as when it showed some chemists had it in stock, they didn’t. Each chemist said there were ‘manufacturing issues’  :(

My pharmacist ( a man) smirked when I looked panic stricken. I don’t absorb Estradot very well and am wary of trying other patches, as they do vary, as we know. Though, from what I gather he didn’t have many others either. I asked when they’d next be in and he just shrugged. I asked when I should come back and check and he said ‘when you run out of patience or your supply, whatever comes first” and laughed. It’s not treated like a ‘proper’ medicine it seems.

This has to change. I saw the news and they said that patches were in ‘plentiful’ supply, they’re not. There is a list that  pharmacists are using that the NHS has listed all the out of stock HRT items that pharmacists can ‘swap’ and there are no patches on there, so I do need to go back to my GP for an alternative prescription in the next couple of weeks if they don’t come into stock.  It’s not good enough.

Teresa

Dandelion

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2022, 02:56:34 AM »

A shortage of HRT? How ridiculous! Why is this?  There shouldn't be such thing. I'm wondering if it's the same in other countries.
I had a brief read on google, apparently other countries are short, and multifactorial causes are the reason, which is a big vague.
I might be wrong though, so it's worth googling

Dandelion

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2022, 02:58:49 AM »

Evorel75 patches are out of stock still where I am. I got the Pharmacy’s last box, last week. The Boots Prescription checker is sadly out of date as when it showed some chemists had it in stock, they didn’t. Each chemist said there were ‘manufacturing issues’  :(

My pharmacist ( a man) smirked when I looked panic stricken. I don’t absorb Estradot very well and am wary of trying other patches, as they do vary, as we know. Though, from what I gather he didn’t have many others either. I asked when they’d next be in and he just shrugged. I asked when I should come back and check and he said ‘when you run out of patience or your supply, whatever comes first” and laughed. It’s not treated like a ‘proper’ medicine it seems.

This has to change. I saw the news and they said that patches were in ‘plentiful’ supply, they’re not. There is a list that  pharmacists are using that the NHS has listed all the out of stock HRT items that pharmacists can ‘swap’ and there are no patches on there, so I do need to go back to my GP for an alternative prescription in the next couple of weeks if they don’t come into stock.  It’s not good enough.

Teresa
When I was on 75mcg last shortage, I got my sister to get Spanish equivalent from Spain, she could only get 100mcg so I cut a quarter and it was fine, im sorry I cannot remember the name of the Spanish one.
Theramex make them, maybe you could call them?