Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Beta blockers and weight gain  (Read 2652 times)

holidaylover

Beta blockers and weight gain
« on: April 26, 2022, 06:58:27 PM »

Hi ladies,  My medication at the moment is lansoprazole (30mg) and propranalol (40mg) for palpitations and indigestion/heartburn symptoms.  I am having real problems shifting weight that is creeping on around the middle.  Now I have just read somewhere that many people on propranalol gained weight.  My palpitations are not quite as bad as they were (I have posted previously about this problem), but definately feel them most 'on waking' in the morning.  They settle once I'm up for a couple of minutes or even lie on my back.  Because of the weight gain I am cutting out carbs to see if I can shift the pounds (three weeks now and no difference really).  My doctor suggested I take the lansoprazole before my evening meal to try and ease the morning palps.  However, the past couple of nights I have forgotten to take the tablets, and today my heartburn and palpitations are bad, happening immediately after breakfast which makes me think that the palps are caused by digestive issues.  I asked if I could take more lansoprazole but he informed this was already a high dose.  What he has suggested is that I up the propranalol to 80mg slow release.  If these are the reason for my weight gain, then I certainly dont want to increase the dose.  My question is, has anyone experienced weight gain on propranalol?
I really would like to try without any betablockers to see if there is any difference, (if in fact it is all digestive orientated) but also dont know if I can just stop them.  Any advice welcome!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Beta blockers and weight gain
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2022, 07:41:30 PM »

The answer is: I never gained weight on any of my medications!  What happened to me was that my apron dropped due to laxity of muscles ...... when I look down I appear 'fat', when I lay down I'm normal.  Occasionally I carry 'water' which makes me feel bloated  >:( and really ill, I can also tell that it's on my middle when my jeans feel tighter.  My GP weighs me twice a year, occasionally I step on the scales but I'm not any heavier.

I took Propranolol to stop early morning anxiety surges.  20mg night and evening.  Saved my Life.

I use 'omeprazalol' for intense heartburn symptoms as well as an aggravating clearing throat issue, caused by reflux. 

Joaniepat

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2022, 07:44:13 PM »

Have you considered gastric reflux which, as I know to my cost, can cause palpitations? The reflux irritates the vagus nerve, which serves both heart and stomach. Gaviscon Advance after meals solved this issue for me and I now only take it before bed.
JP x

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2022, 07:54:29 PM »

Oh Yuk Joaniepat - Had I known that you were using that, I would have sent the bottle from which I had one spoonful  ;D rather than taking it to the surgery for disposal  ::)

holidaylover

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2022, 08:13:38 PM »

Joaniepat, Yes, I am convinced that the palpitations are caused by reflux, or hiatus hernia or something.  This is why I am reluctant to keep taking the propranolol. (Heart issues have been ruled out). But palpitations are so draining.   Doctor has twice prescribed antidepressants which I have not taken.   I have been waiting an endoscopy since December 2021.  I'm going to try Gaviscon again on a more regular basis, it has helped in the past.  I don't mind it CLKD, I actually quite like it.   ;)

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2022, 08:20:17 PM »

Propranolol isn't for reflux, it's to ease anxiety surges. 

Joaniepat

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2022, 08:21:04 PM »

Oh Yuk Joaniepat - Had I known that you were using that, I would have sent the bottle from which I had one spoonful  ;D rather than taking it to the surgery for disposal  ::)
Yuk indeed! However, I am used to it now. What would help is if the pharmacy would give me the mint version now and then, as the aniseed one is 'orrible! But I suppose somebody has got to have it and it might as well be me  ;D
JP x

holidaylover

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2022, 09:05:40 PM »

CLKD, I've been prescribed the propranalol for the palpitations and I feel the palpitations are caused by digestive issues.  I don't think the doctor believes this and thinks all my problems are anxiety based. I dont think so.  I do know that the palpitations are not helping my anxiety though.  I feel that if I could get the digestive issue diagnosed and sorted then that would ease the palpitations.

Cookie25

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2022, 09:21:20 PM »

Hi holidaylover

I used propanalol daily in the past for migraine prevention and it didn't cause weight gain at all for me. It revolutionised my life at the time!

I am having bloating and weight gain and am always looking for reasons but deep down know it's likely my hormones....  ;D

Good luck
Cookie

holidaylover

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2022, 07:12:46 AM »

Thanks Cookie,
I feel the weight has crept on since I started taking the propranalol, but you're right it's probably 'just my age'! 

sweettooth

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2022, 07:32:01 AM »

Hi HL
I’m on proprananol high dose since vaccination caused crazy heart rate and palps but honestly no weight gain. Is it on list of possible side effects maybe it has slowed down your metabolism??  Your palps may well be related to digestion and it could be well worth getting tested for food intolerances.  Good luck x

jules55

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2022, 10:29:22 PM »

Hi HL

I am also on Propranolol 40mg, as I think we discussed in a previous post. I've never experienced weight gain
  with them, although I put weight on around my middle in the last few years, since being post menopausal.
  I have also been advised by my GP  to not just stop taking them but to slowly wean your self off them by
  reducing dosage.  It's interesting to learn about the palpitations being linked to digestion though. x

holidaylover

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2022, 09:48:11 AM »

sweettooth,  my palpitations started four days after my vaccination and yet doctors are dismissing the fact the two are related.  Anxiety seems to be the only thing I'm ever diagnosed with.

jules55, I've stopped taking tablets at the moment as I want to see if the palps get worse without them, the pharmacist said it was ok to just stop as I was only on a small dose.  (40mg).  I had been prescribed 80mg slow release but I'm afraid of side effects, although I had none on the smaller dose.  If I get worse again I have a few 40mg which I shall start again before going on to the higher dose.  It's the not knowing what's causing the palpitations in the first place that is worrying me.