Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Is this normal for the menopause??  (Read 878 times)

SunnyB

Is this normal for the menopause??
« on: April 21, 2022, 08:09:38 PM »

Evening..
I'm 47 and not currently on HRT as I am awaiting for the Mirena Coil to be fitted to which my GP said she would then add the oestrogen element. The Coil has been prescribed to help bring under control my heavy periods. I am currently taking transexamic acid for the first 4 days of each period to help manage the flow.
However, I'm a bit concerned with my periods at the moment. My cycle usually varies from 20 to 35 days and has done for the last few years. But I recently had my period which finished on 8th April and lasted 6 days (I took my prescribed dose of transexamic acid for the first 4
days of my period), then I began bleeding again 6 days later on 14th April. It was a light bleed on 14th. Dark red clot like light bleed on 15th and 16th. Light bleed on
17th. No bleed on 18th or 19th. Brown spotting on 20th. Bright red light bleed this morning (21st April).
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this/if this is normal?
I did contact my GP, and she emailed back to say she has prescribed me a low dose combined contraceptive pill to take for 3 months then to pop back for a review?? I'm reluctant to take it though.
So confused, and very concerned :-\

sheila99

Re: Is this normal for the menopause??
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2022, 08:57:39 AM »

I would ask for a scan to rule out other causes of the bleeding such as fibroids.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2022, 09:34:44 AM »

Agree with Sheila. 

:welcomemm:  some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use to chart progress.

How long B4 you get the Mirena fitted, something your GP could have done?  Once you've had a scan you have a base line on which to work.  Let us know how you get on.

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2022, 10:43:48 AM »

Hello SunnyB and welcome to the forum.

When I was in my late forties my periods were regular but heavy. I then noticed some clots and subsequently I had two periods in one month. I was prescribed a progesterone for two weeks of the month which didn't really work so my dose was increased to three weeks.  Again no improvement so I was sent for a scan and a small fibroid was found. There was no further action as I was considered close to the menopause.  The very heavy bleeding settled and it was another five years before  my periods stopped altogether. Three years Iater I started HRT and a  hysteroscopy noted that the fibroid had disappeared.

I mention all the above because your GP may arrange a scan for you and if a fibroid is found it may just require monitoring and subsequently resolve on its own as mine did.

I hope my tale helps you in some way.

Take care.

K.

SunnyB

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2022, 01:08:43 PM »

Thanks for your replies :)
I emailed the GP back today and have said I'm not comfortable with taking the pill and have asked for a scan.
I had a scan around this time last year to investigate the cause of my heavy periods, and was told all was fine then. A recent blood test came back fine too, not low in iron and no concerns regarding thyroid. This is why at at the end of last year I was prescribed the Mirena coil which I have at least another 2 to 4 months before it can be fitted due to our GP surgery no longer fitting it and waiting lists for gynecology dept.

Things can change in a year though so I would still feel more comfortable having a scan.
I have been charting my period, moods etc since I stopped taking the pill 3 years ago, which is why I have noticed my current issue out of the norm for me.

When I started my periods in my late teens before going on the pill they were always irregular and heavy, the pill kind of helped as in controlling his regular they were.
I was also diagnosed in 2002 with PCOS which why I was finding it difficult to conceive at the time so I had fertility drugs to help me to conceive my first son. My second son arrived 16 months later with no issues conceiving. I went straight back on the pill then, again due to heavy periods.
This issue now along with the erratic mood swings and tiredness is really getting me down.

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2022, 01:21:37 PM »

You may find the wait for a mirena is shorter at a sexual health clinic.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2022, 01:29:26 PM »

Also you have two lads to run around after  ;)

Get those feet up!