Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Mirena Coil  (Read 1498 times)

Nas

Mirena Coil
« on: March 31, 2022, 07:03:34 PM »

Any positives regarding the mirena coil fixing bleeding whilst on Hrt?

I’m on femeston conti and it’s not enough oestrogen. Anything more than 1mg and I’m bleeding every fortnight. I don’t have polyps, cysts or any abnormalities. Endometrial lining is a healthy thickness.

I’m at the end of my tether with it all now and beginning to think my life is over 😪

Friend of lhasaapso

Re: Mirena Coil
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2022, 08:19:49 PM »

Hi Nas ,
So sorry you're going through a difficult time . I don't have any experience of the mirena personally,but I have heard of women who've been helped by it .
      Hopefully, some one else will see this post and be along soon to give advice .
       Take care x

VictoryV

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2022, 08:28:34 PM »

I’ve got two close friends in their early 50’s who love them!

I’m considering it too!

sweettooth

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2022, 08:37:37 PM »

I had it once in my 40s I did not have a period whilst on it so it could well be answer to your probs🤞🤞

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2022, 09:33:19 PM »

I think it's like all of them, most people are absolutely fine but a few have problems. Good luck with it, the chances are you'll be someone who is OK with it - and much better than no oestrogen if that is the alternative.
Let us know how you get on.

Ms Peak

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2022, 09:47:04 PM »

Hi there.

I have my second Mirena in situ, the best thing I ever did for totally horrendoys periods. Also taking orallly 1mg of Oestrogen and doing great.

Hope it helps

Ms Peaks

VictoryV

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2022, 10:15:08 PM »

Hi Nas,

I’ve booked a scan and have located a coil fitting service which is 200 metres from my office and free! Private charge £650.00, 15 miles away and nowhere to park equals stress.

So I need to do a 12 day blast on Utrogestan, get a bleed, attend the scan on the 19th and hopefully get the coil quickly. If the coil causes problems I’ll get it removed.
Here’s the link for the Coil clinic locator:

https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/sexual-health/find-a-sexual-health-clinic

PeriWhat?!

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2022, 07:06:52 AM »

I think the hope is it will stop bleeds completely in the long run, but everyone is different.
Some people get a little bit of blood for a long time after first getting it fitted, I was told for up to six months! Saying that, I had mine fitted in November and the bleeding was only really worth mentioning for the first few weeks, after that it was just the smallest bit that went on and on (not even enough to need a pad or a tampon, just enough for something to be there, if that makes sense). I stuck with it because it's working better for me than all the other progesterones I've tried so it felt like a minor inconvenience in comparison. A few weeks ago it finally stopped and I've had no blood at all since - hopefully that's all done now!

Sid

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2022, 12:58:50 PM »

Hi Nas

I had a Mirena fitted a few weeks ago - so far so good. I had breakthrough bleeding whenever I tried a continuous regime on Utrogestan, so hope this is the answer x

Nas

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2022, 01:57:40 PM »

Thanks all.
Will certainly investigate the coil I think, especially if I bleed one more time!

Think it may be a bit like marmite, you either love it or hate it, but worth a shot.

Victoria, I hope it works for you, having the fitting service so close to your office is a no brainer for sure! 👍🤞🤞🤞

Pixielilac

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2022, 09:26:17 PM »

I had menopausal bleeding and they wanted to put a Mirena coil in, but I had a bad experience back in my early 30’s with a coil that the doctor put in wrong and struggled to get out, but reading all this makes me think I should reconsider it.

PeriWhat?!

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2022, 01:37:44 PM »

I think the hope is it will stop bleeds completely in the long run, but everyone is different.
Some people get a little bit of blood for a long time after first getting it fitted, I was told for up to six months! Saying that, I had mine fitted in November and the bleeding was only really worth mentioning for the first few weeks, after that it was just the smallest bit that went on and on (not even enough to need a pad or a tampon, just enough for something to be there, if that makes sense). I stuck with it because it's working better for me than all the other progesterones I've tried so it felt like a minor inconvenience in comparison. A few weeks ago it finally stopped and I've had no blood at all since - hopefully that's all done now!
I think I jinxed myself when I posted about the bleeds stopping - they're back again now! Annoying, but it's still light, just annoying. Also still preferable to the horrific mood swings I had before this coil though so I'll persevere.

Emo10

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2022, 01:45:36 PM »

Hi,

I've had 2 Mirenas prior to peri. I loved them and only stopped because my husband had a vasectomy. I had terribly heavy periods and the mirena stopped them and helped me get my life back.

I'm about to have my 3rd fitted to support my transition to menopause. I'm hoping it has the same effect as previous times and no nasty side effects. I was lucky that I had no symptoms associated with having them last time so fingers crossed. I can no longer cope with a 20 day cycle- 8-10 days of that are my period.

Emma