Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Confused  (Read 1416 times)

Shellybelz

• First Flush
Confused
« on: March 18, 2022, 08:08:13 PM »

I'm 44 and I've been on the pill since 15.

About a year ago i noticed I was waking up at night dripping wet with sweat.  Put it down to being overweight.

Then I noticed dizziness, period pains,  irritability, increased anxiety, depression and tearfulness at certain times of the month and a few other symptoms started.

Mum wondered if it was early menopause so I decided to come off the pill to see what happened.  After 10 weeks I hadn't come on.  I spoke to the Dr who agreed I could try HRT.

After nearly 3 months on Femoston my life had changed.  Id had a period, but all the other symptoms seemed better.

But then the itching started... vaginal and anal.  I itched so much I scratched, I scratched so much I bled. Eventually I realised it was only 2 weeks of the month and could be HRT. Dr suggested it might be progesterone sensitivity so changed me into Evorel Sequi.

I've been on the new patches less than a week but Im still itching, still bleeding, my boobs have started to feel sore and today I've been dizzy again.

I'm at a complete loss.  I don't know if I should stop the patch or give it time.

The thing making me wonder if I'm not early menopause is my sex drive is through the roof and I'm definitely not dry.

If you have any advice I'd be grateful... I'm desperate 😪

Flossieteacake

Re: Confused
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2022, 08:15:30 PM »

Hello Shellybelz. Welcome to the forum. Have you heard of vaginal atrophy? This is when lack of oestrogen causes itching, pain, dryness and the need to keep going to the bathroom. Although you are not dry you are itchy so I would try some vaginal atrophy treatment. The common ones are vagifem and ovestin. They are very mild and can be taken with or without HRT. The sooner you start the treatment the better. Itchy anus can also be a symptom and some people put the ovestin cream around that area too.

When I lacked oestrogen I was itchy everywhere. I now take two different antihistamines and have found oestrogen patches have helped. If your itching is genital that I recommend atrophy treatment. I understand how horrible these symptoms are. I too have tender breasts almost all the time. I think it is so positive you still have a sex drive.  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2022, 08:19:32 PM »

Your GP needs a  :kick: as well as head putting down the loo and handle flushed.   >:(

::):welcomemm:  what you describe is vaginal atrophy.  Which your GP should be aware of but sadly, many have no idea.  One doesn't have to be dry to have the start of VA.

How much blood do you lose - this may also be the reason for the unpleasant sensations.  What ever, you need a good moisturiser - have a lookC at the 'sylc' and 'yes' websites.  I would also ask for appropriate VA treatment to try for 6 months to see if it eases those symptoms.

I would also go back on the Femostan as you had a good result.  Swapping HRT risks throwing the body into turmoil - 'replacement' - it can take 6-8 months B4 the body begins to uptake some regimes to ease symptoms.  Some keep a fan by the bed to cool down in the night.  Also a 'chillow' pillow might help?

Perimenopause are the years prior to the menopause which is literally, the last monthly period.  However, it doesn't work like that as until we haven't had a bleed for 12 months we can't be certain.  My periods waxed and waned for several years.  Would miss months then hey presto! back again.  At least the dreadful pains with flooding disappeared.

Brows round. make notes ;-)

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2022, 08:20:46 PM »

As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry: inside and out; skin, scalp, eyes, deep in the ears ........

Shellybelz

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2022, 09:03:41 PM »

Thank you all so much... I'll go back to the Dr!

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2022, 09:05:23 PM »

Let us know how you get on and don't be fobbed off ;-)

The info in 'vagifem' and 'ovestin' is the same as for general HRT .......... so GPs hinge on that!

Shellybelz

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2022, 09:07:32 PM »

Hi all
So I've gone back on my first HRT. I've bought Yes moisturiser and am using Estriol cream and things have improved.   But I'm still itching a little... it flares up now and then.  Usually when I start the progesterone half of my HRT. But I'm not entirely sure how often to use each... I'm probably sounding dim but do I use both every day?
And do I just put the estriol external or use the syringe and put it inside?
Thank you

Flossieteacake

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2022, 09:37:52 PM »

Hi all
So I've gone back on my first HRT. I've bought Yes moisturiser and am using Estriol cream and things have improved.   But I'm still itching a little... it flares up now and then.  Usually when I start the progesterone half of my HRT. But I'm not entirely sure how often to use each... I'm probably sounding dim but do I use both every day?
And do I just put the estriol external or use the syringe and put it inside?
Thank you

It is nice to get an update from you. Please feel free to ask anything. You are not dim. I would use the cream every day. You can choose night or day. You can apply a bit to the outer area with your finger. Load the applicator and insert it too.

Shellybelz

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2022, 06:31:18 PM »

Thank you.

Another thing I'm wondering...I still bleed every month.  Will using tampons make the itching worse? I'm thinking it might dry me out even more?