Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: VA/urethra issues still!! Help!  (Read 3485 times)

MrsRoo

VA/urethra issues still!! Help!
« on: March 03, 2022, 02:49:26 PM »

Hi everyone!
It’s me again with my sore, burning whatsit.

I’ve posted a couple of times so just a brief overview: I’m on systemic HRT (Orstrogel & Utrogestan) but get really bad symptoms of vaginal atrophy/GSM. I’ve tried Vagifem in the past but didn’t really get on with it and have been using Ovestin cream for about six months. I’ve now been in a VA flare up for about four weeks, am burning, sore and have horrendous urinary urgency, am peeing all the time and constantly feel like I need to pee. I’ve done another two week load of Ovestin but still the symptoms continue.
I’ve seen the GP today and she examined me and gave me Dermol lotion and said to continue the Ovestin twice a week. She didn’t want to change my local estrogen and said that as I’ve been on topical estrogen for so long, this issue can’t be to do with that.
I feel so desperate and am going to have to get products for myself or see a private doctor.
Could you please tell me what has worked for you with regard to VA and things that haven’t. I can then look into this knowing what is effective and what’s not.
Many thanks for all of your help ladies!

Roo xx

Flossieteacake

Re: VA/urethra issues still!! Help!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2022, 02:53:40 PM »

Hello MrsRoo. I am so sorry to hear how much pain you are in. Like you, I cannot take vaigem. I have been on ovestin every single day for 3 months and feel no better. I spoke to a menopause DR who just advised me to wash in E45 cream and use it to act as a moisturiser and barrier. I am not feeling any different. I do not know what the solution is but just wanted you to know you are not alone.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2022, 03:02:54 PM »

Firstly - if you stick to 1 thread you are less likely to get lost!

What advice were you given previously?  'ovestin' needs to be used every night if necessary, regardless of what a GP might suggest.  I often put an extra dose up in the afternoon as well as my evening treatment. It is what suits you, not what the GPs/Nurses say!

Postmeno3

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2022, 03:10:20 PM »

Twice a week is probably absolute minimum Ovestin. Interesting your gp didn't suggest upping that dosage. I'm not sure how an emollient is going to impact the severe conditions you describe. What dose, delivery method of systemic are you on? (Sorry I'm not familiar with progesterone, so would not feel confident about discussing that, but others will be!) I know you were asking about Estring and I gave you a little of my experience of it, personally. I was prescribed it initially for recurrent utis. It is certainly great for plumping and moistening the tissue, at least in my case, but lately has not been enough and I now have Vagifem three times a week and Ovestin externally twice a week in addition which may still not be enough, certainly until the systemic kicks in more. That's why I wanted to ask about your dosage/delivery method there. Hope this helps. It sounds very difficult for you at the moment! Of course, you could always e-mail Dr. Currie? She might have sound answers and advice for you and from her medical, professional input, you could take it to your gp? It can be very influential!

MrsRoo

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2022, 03:15:01 PM »

Flossieteacake, thank you so much for your reply. I’m sorry that you’re going through this too. It’s a nightmare! Hopefully we will both get some relief soon.

MrsRoo

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2022, 03:16:12 PM »

Firstly - if you stick to 1 thread you are less likely to get

I am new to the forum and simply trying to get some help.

MrsRoo

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2022, 03:21:30 PM »

Postmeno3, thank you for your (second   :)) reply to me. My GP didn’t want to up my dosage or try a different method of local estrogen such as Estring. She said that, as I’ve been using local estrogen for a while, my symptoms couldn’t be due to Low estrogen and thought it was a dermatitis or some such. I did emphasise that I’ve got horrendous urinary urgency and she said ‘it’s all connected’. I don’t think I could just email Dr Currie could I?

Postmeno3

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2022, 03:28:17 PM »

Yes, you can. You just push the "Contact" tab on the black bar at the top of the page. It costs £30, but for a private online consultation is so worth it if you can. It was a complete game-changer for me when I first started out. She will advise informatively and kindly.

MrsRoo

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2022, 03:35:49 PM »

Thank you Postmeno3! I think I might do that. Sorry, I didn’t answer your question! I’m on 3 pumps of Oestrogel transdermal gel daily (for now, as my pharmacist told me today that there’s a manufacturing problem and he can’t get it at the moment. Eek!) and 200mg of Utrogestan (progesterone) for twelve days of the month orally.

I’m really struggling to see the point at the moment

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2022, 03:40:23 PM »

If U stick to your original thread and post as you have done here, you won't miss responses nor will your thread become lost. 

Which point are you struggling with?  As the body dries it can take a while to ease symptoms, particularly where the tissues are thin, i.e. in the vagina. 

Amazing grace

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2022, 04:12:03 PM »

Hi MrsRoo, I too am really sorry to hear of your struggles with this, unfortunately I too am in the same situation, vagifem was a no go for me made things worse, ovestin no matter how much I use doesn't seem to make a difference, my gp said IC back in November gave me various treatments which helped but didn't take it away,  at my hrt review in January my GP did say I could use ovestin as much as I like, I'm going to ask for the estring, as I think the fillers in both vagifem and ovestin irritate me, I don't understand why your GP,  won't let you give another delivery method a go, mine is quite good at letting me choose, I would maybe push to try it, it may be the one thing that brings you relief, I really feel for you and hope you get some relief, I know how truly awful this feeling is, my worst symptom with this is the need to wee, I too don't have a solution but like flossieteacake said you definitely aren't alone.

MrsRoo

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2022, 04:20:37 PM »

Thank you so much Amazing grace. What a lovely reply. I’ve been sitting here in tears this afternoon and your message has really helped. My GP was of the opinion that this couldn’t be a hormone issue as I’ve been using topical/local estrogen for a while. I’m thinking of going private to try Estring or Intarosa. I can’t continue like this. I’ve also got a severe prolapsed disc in my spine so I don’t need additional pain and problems. It’s making me so low. I’m so sorry that you’re going through it too but we are in it together and that helps. Xx

Postmeno3

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2022, 04:22:20 PM »

I agree with "Amazing grace" that your gp seems to be confining you. This is where input from Dr. Currie will feel more supportively informative and perhaps encourage your gp to be more creative or offer direct advice on a different way forward for you. Good luck and let us know how you get on. It's so easy to feel terribly stuck with all this and without autonomy. Seeking a second opinion will change those feelings for you. 😊
No need to go private for Estring! Perhaps mention you want to try this if you decide to contact Dr. Currie.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 04:25:26 PM by Postmeno3 »

MrsRoo

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2022, 04:26:35 PM »

Thank you Postmeno3! My GP was just adamant that this wasn’t a hormone issue . She is usually very good and I’m only getting the HRT help because of her.

Gracie

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2022, 04:29:07 PM »

You need to use your VA treatment every day, your symptoms are not improving because you are not using enough. It can takes months for VA treatment to work that's why it's important to keep at it, no messing just go on the attack, the only way you will beat this!

Emailing Dr Currie will be helpful to put your mind at ease I'm sure!
Pages: [1] 2 3