Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 1091 times)

Nessguru

• First Flush
« on: February 24, 2022, 03:49:41 PM »

Hi, I have just joined the forum.  I am a 56 year old woman who mainly struggles with mood swings associated with the menopause.  I have the mirena coil in and I know that this is supposed to help.  On several occasions I've gone to my GP and on one occasion he prescribed a blood pressure medication (can't remember the name) for hot flushes.  They only worked for a short period and for the last 2 years I have been prescribed mirtazepine which the GP mainly prescribed for my mood and sleep problems.  Prior to this I would rant usually at my poor husband but that has stopped now.  What I struggle with is periodic dip in mood which I really struggle to get myself out of.  I exercise regularly, drink alcohol very occasionally and in general terms I eat healthily so I am just wondering if there is anything else I could be trying to help me with this?  I do worry that these moods are driving a wedge between my husband and me.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Agnes

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2022, 03:57:29 PM »

Hi!   :welcomemm:  I was advised by NAPS to eat every 3 hours, 24/7.  To stop those hunger surges which can cause anxiety and anger.  Think of a toddle in a buggy in a supermarket getting irritated close to lunch time, ? similar ? to as we age, our body can suddenly deplete of energy.

I've been known to throw items, never anything of value ;-).

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary is useful to chart progress.  Also, do you think that an extra HRT medication would help?  Let us know.

Also: do print off 'hints for husbands' from the Forum: hand over to the family! 

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2022, 03:58:32 PM »

Advice for Husbands in 'all things menopause' ;-)

Nessguru

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2022, 04:07:07 PM »

Hi CLKD, thanks so much for your helpful advice.  I have spoken with my GP before but he said that as there was a family history of breast cancer, he didn't think HRT was appropriate.  Tbh I often think that if men had menopause we'd be swamped with support from the health services.  :) I will print off info for my husband, thanks for signposting that for me,  I think he just doesn't know what to do and I'm no help either especially if my mood has taken a dive.  I struggle to explain to him exactly how I'm feeling and I think he just doesn't know what to say to help.  I will definately start the diary as well, anything I can find out that's going to help.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2022, 04:21:13 PM »

Your GP is looking at old research mayB.  Ask him for copies of where he gets his info. from ;-).

Quality of Life is the most important issue, that bus may come along behind us B4 HRT causes any problems.  1 is more likely to have cancer from being overweight or drinking too much than from HRT.  My oncologist muttered "No HRT for you my Lady" as I left the Clinic, however!

How far away is the family history and what type of breast cancer might he be hinging upon?  Even if it's a sister or mother, there are many ways of delivering appropriate HRT. 

You could ask for a referral to am NHS menopause clinic -  not a gynaecologist - sooner rather than later as there are waiting lists.  Let us know how you get on.

Nessguru

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2022, 05:04:55 PM »

I will do, I suppose I've got nothing to lose.  It was my mother who had breast cancer.  I'll let you know how I get on.  Many thanks.  :)

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2022, 05:57:52 PM »

If you can find out which cancer affected your Mum.  Oestrogen can influence disease, mine was apparently oestrogen dominant.   My Mum however had a breast removed due to a scan showing cancer when she was 65, no other treatment required.