Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Detailed hormone blood test (Not the FSH one) - any advice before i get mine?  (Read 647 times)

Vicky81

Hello all,

Very new to this forum.

As per my other post about advice on Femoston 2/10 (now only on day 10). I have paid to have a private blood test done next Monday in London (the london PMS centre - where Dr Studd used to practice). I am getting this done as i am only 41 (just turned) and have never ever experienced low mood/anxiety/depression before...always the life and soul and wanted a more detailed answer as to why i am feeling this way. Also, the FSH test i had at GP surgery came back normal (but the perimenopause checklist i was given - i highlighted nearly all). Currently on Sertraline (Antidepressant as this was said to be best for anxiety)  - this is my 4th lot of AD by the way.

Any thoughts or experience of this? xxx

Hurdity

Hi Vicky81

Sorry to hear about your symptoms.

The FSH test to determine menopausal status has to be done at a certain stage in your cycle. See here: https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/diagnose.php and here: https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/pm-investigations.php

The main problem is that as you have started HRT, measurement of FSH may not help since oestrogen reduces this although I guess if it is raised despite HRT then this could indicate peri-menopause.

If your cycles were completely regular then you are not peri-menopausal by the medical definition ( cycles need to have become irregular and vary by 7 days or more), but that is not to say that hormones do not become erratic before this - ie during the "Late Reproductive Stage", and in this case replacement hormones can help.

I'm sure I posted something similar a while ago but probably not to you - but at your age you may be better off with one of the contraceptive pills designed for menopause that contain estradiol, rather than HRT - there are two such - called QLAIRA and ZOELY. These suppress ovulation and therefore dampen the dramatic hormonal fluctuations of peri-menopause and pms so they will also reduce the  consequent mood swings, and hopefully eliminate the need for an AD as ADs are not the first line of treatment for hormonally induced menopausal symptoms

I hope you get some answers and feel better soon.

Hurdity x

Vicky81

Hi hurdity,

I was always every 28 days, then since September (when the crazy anxiety etc also started) my periods became 2 days late here, 3 days late there etc. Then i noticed that the blood flow lasted longer, it was usually like 4-5 days, it was now 7 days and i apologise for this but he colour changed towards the end - when you go the loo for a pee, and on the tissue it was slightly darker blood.

I am deffo perimenopause because i have never ever had these symptoms before, my hair comes out in hair brush, anxiety, depression, dont want to go anywhere. Crying alot too. xx

Any further advice always welcome xx

Vicky81

Oh and to mention - the white hot rage i had towards my partner! then i would just sit and cry for ages, just flowing out of me. the chocolate binging late at night....i never ever had a sweet tooth before (even my mum said that!)

No to mention my social life.....everyone knows me as the bubbly, laugh at minute, joker/pug goer etc....but not since August/September. All stopped. I am barely getting to work its so hard. I have cried at work a few times. xx