Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Just Started Continuous and Get Full Blown Period  (Read 1079 times)

Zar

Just Started Continuous and Get Full Blown Period
« on: February 18, 2022, 09:26:05 AM »

Hi all

I've just completed my first month of continuous progesterone (utrogestan) (100mg vaginally for 25 nights + Evorel 100) after being cyclical since Feb 2019, and I must say, I feel great on it, I feel happy and my mood is constant. I don't get bloating anymore and I've lost 6lb (although I have been dieting), but I'm sure the 6lb is from my bloated tummy. I'm really delighted, however about a week ago I noticed my boobs were sore but it didn't cross my mind that I had a period brewing. I mean 'period' as opposed to a withdrawal bleed as my withdrawal bleeds when on cyclical were nothing troublesome, I never had pain. But yesterday I had the most awful stomach cramps, just like in the old days, and then a proper period started.

My question is - I thought continuous progesterone was supposed to keep the lining thin so that you don't get a bleed? So if I'm getting a bleed, does that mean the 100mg progesterone isn't enough to counteract the Evorel 100 (which is quite a high dosage). I have tried cutting bits of the patch off now and then but I'm almost immediately met with flushes and palpitations. So I do feel I need to be on the 100 patch right now.

I just wondered what your thoughts were, I will try to get a phone call with my doctor, but I've noticed my surgery is reluctant to make decisions on HRT and have referred me to the menopause clinic before, saying they are not experts. I admire their honesty but the menopause clinic appointment takes months to come through.

Thanks for any advice. I don't fancy going back to cyclical as I'm finally feeling so good on this regime, and getting a fab sleep every night with the utrogestan, as opposed to just 12 nights per month.x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Just Started Continuous and Get Full Blown Period
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2022, 02:08:08 PM »

I do wonder if it takes a while for periods/HRT to settle down into a pattern ?  Does it say anything in the leaflet in the box?

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2022, 02:51:04 PM »

Random bleeding/periods are common during the first six months of beginning conti HRT so hopefully it will settle for you during this time especially as you are feeling good on it.

Taz x  :)

Nas

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2022, 03:42:00 PM »

Utrogestan is notoriously rubbish at keeping the womb lining thin. It didn’t help me one bit whilst I was on evorel 75 as I was plagued with bleeding every three weeks!

See how you go, but don’t be surprised if you experience further bleeds.

Norethistone is meant to be good at controlling bleeding, or the coil.

Zar

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2022, 07:04:10 PM »

Thanks everyone. I did wonder if it might just take a while to settle, but that's interesting what you have said Nas. I'll keep an eye on things. I suppose the bleeding isn't a bad thing as at least I know the lining isn't building up. Thanks again.