Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Joint and Muscle Aches  (Read 987 times)

TLW05

• First Flush
Joint and Muscle Aches
« on: February 17, 2022, 10:57:46 AM »

By far my worse symptom at the moment is joint and muscles aches and pains.  Sometimes it is so bad I am in tears.  :'( I exercise regularly and have also started some gentle stretching.  I take over the counter ibuprofen when I have really bad days, but just recently I am having more bad days than good.  As I don't want to be taking Ibuprofen every day, on some bad days I try to push on through the discomfort but it's becoming so much harder, and I find myself doing less and less both physically and mentally because it's painful and distracting.  I am perimenopausal and on Tamoxifen for a previous history of breast cancer so HRT won't be an option, so I need to find other ways of managing my 535 symptoms ;).  Does anybody have any remedies that have worked for them.  Thank you.  :)

Aprilflower

Re: Joint and Muscle Aches
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2022, 11:28:41 AM »

Hi,

I have had a return of muscle aches and pains ( since my booster actually), and am back to the things I did in peri.

Doing Tai Chi again.  Not every day yet, but building up.  Also back on the fish oils and magnesium.  Magnesium is a good muscle relaxant. 

My shoulder and neck pain, which has niggles off and on for years, has gone mega.  I have had two physio sessions for that, which is helping.

I'm hoping things will get better and that it's just temporary inflammation caused by the vaccine.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2022, 12:13:25 PM »

As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  I saw a physio a week ago: I have trochateric bursitis.  I've been given exercises.  I thought it was sciatica  ::) but wasn't troublesome in the day, I was getting intense pain deep in the thigh and over the buttock in the early hours.

When was your surgery TLW05.  There are ways of delivering HRT that is safer than others.  Also, Quality of Life is important.   Tamoxifen made me very ill so as I hadn't felt ill during treatment, I quit it  :-\ .  Do ask for a referral to a dedicated menopause clinic although there are waiting lists or send an e-mail to Dr Currie, for which there is a charge.

Let us know how you get on.  In the meantime, ask your Phramcasit for advice about mixing various pain relief and how much and when you can take it.  (Pity I can't spell  ::) )

TLW05

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2022, 11:28:43 AM »

Thanks Aprilflower.  I was thinking about yoga but may be Tai Chi might be a better option.  Hopefully things will get better for you. 

Hi CLKD, my surgery was back in 2013.  I have been quite lucky that the Tamoxifen has caused very little side effects.  Although my oncologist did say that my peri symptoms might be worse because of the Tamoxifen.  I only have two years left to take though of the 10, and she has asked that I try to bear with it at least for another year.  I really do want to finish the 10 year period and just hope that I can find enough alternative ways to deal with any symptoms.  I think there is a dedicated menopause clinic in my area, so I will see if I can get in touch with them, and in meantime speak to a pharmacist about painkillers.

Thank you both.

Postmeno3

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2022, 11:58:46 AM »

Qi Gong is another good thing, if you can find something. It's very gentle, less sustained postures. 👍

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2022, 12:00:24 PM »

I wonder why 'tamoxifen' is still prescribed  :-\.  I was told that it 'might' stop the cancer recurring, 'might' wasn't good enough.  5 years was the base line and I didn't last 3 months.  Do you get regular womb scans?

Let us know how you get on.

dahliagirl

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2022, 05:39:20 PM »

Vitamin D (with K2 if poss) and magnesium.  Pilates helps me - I usually feel better afterwards, for the moment anyway.