Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Chronic gastritis  (Read 4292 times)

BlueBird

Chronic gastritis
« on: February 12, 2022, 06:32:55 PM »

What on earth, like going through the rest of this nonsense isn't enough, I've developed really bad chronic gastritis!

I'm on 3 medications and although it keeps my symptoms at bay, if I give up one of them I'm in trouble. The treatment has been going for 5 month now. I'm not overweight. I eat very well, no fried foods, no spicy foods, no sugar, no alcohol, don't smoke - I'm a real party, I promise! lol! But, I can't seem to get this under control. I eat small portions frequently throughout the day and never over eat. Just moderate exercise is bringing it on too.

Please, gals, tell me this gets better?! Is this related to menopause? Is there anything else I can do? I've read that HRT makes it worse, is this true? I was hoping to go on HRT asap.

I'm so exhausted by this, it's wiping me out.  :o

CrispyChick

Re: Chronic gastritis
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2022, 07:26:58 PM »

I went through an episode of gastritis a couple of years back.

I was on a trial of the mini pill at the time, for my many peri symptoms. I even had it diagnosed by endoscopy as I was tested for cealiac at that time. I'm not cealiac, but they found gastritis.

I still take a very very small dose of an old style tablet. But I'm fine now. Its totally gone away. Its the only thing that has  ;D. So, my conclusion - it was hormonal.

I don't think you should be scared of the hrt making it worse. If you've got it bad now, hrt might help. I truely believe mine is hormonal. In fact, I occasionally get one day of it right before my period... So that is definitely hormonal. X

Peripurple

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2022, 07:39:43 PM »

Hi bluebird, I could have written your post.  I have had gastritis for over two years now, diagnosed by endoscopy.  I am currently waiting to see a gastroenterologist but covid has held this up.  I strongly believe hormones have contributed to this.  Just like you I don’t drink, smoke etc, and I am finding I can’t tolerate a lot of foods, and if I even attempt to reduce my PPI symptoms return.  I’m hoping when I do get to see a gastroenterologist I can get further advice.  I don’t know how you feel but the idea of taking medication forever really gets me down, I do take HRT but it certainly hasn’t improved things.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2022, 09:02:10 PM »

If U were diabetic ...... or had thyroid function problems .........

Gut problems are awful  :-X

:foryou:

Gracie

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2022, 10:43:02 PM »

My husband has just been diagnosed with this and has been prescribed Omeprazole, if that helps.
I doubt whether it has anything to do with HRT but more to do with a stomach event which we all seem to get as we age!

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2022, 09:20:11 AM »

Hi - I also had this badly for probably two years before going to the doc after antacids etc didn't work. I was prescribed a course of Omeprazole for 6 weeks which worked like magic! After great advice on here I came off it slowly towards the end of the course and cushioned the blow with some Gaviscon advance to take at night and after meals. The final withdrawal from Omeprazole was horrible - I had a day or two of severe griping pains but I carried on with the Gaviscon and worked through it. I have never had a return of the bad gastritis though now and again I can feel they might return if I eat/drink certain things eg alcohol which I have in small amounts at weekends. I rarely need to take the Gaviscon nor the antacid tablets so I consider this a success (for the time beong fingers crossed!). My doc talked about "healing my gut" and I was very sceptical initially (that I had a gut that needing healing in the way she described) - but it really worked. This was over a year ago now.

I realise everyone has their own particular gut issues but I hope this gives encouragement to some of you that a simple solution can work - and especially to work through the withdrawal because it doesn't (well not in my case) take you back to where you were before you started the omep.. :)

Hurdity x

Gnatty

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2022, 11:32:55 AM »

Yes I think PPIs can work wonders. I have noticed since increasing my Oestrogel my symptoms of indigestion/ acid etc have virtually disappeared. This makes me wonder whether it is dose dependent as to whether HRT makes a difference?

helenmelon

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2022, 12:40:04 PM »

Hi Bluebird, gastritis was one of my first and worst menopause symptoms. Came out of no where for no reason, tried all the PPIs, but after I went on HRT, Estradot 50mcg patches it vanished and only now returns if I’m very stressed.
Perhaps HRT might help you too, the only way to know is to give it a try xx