Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vaginal Atrophy & Flare-ups  (Read 4541 times)

Gracie

Vaginal Atrophy & Flare-ups
« on: February 08, 2022, 10:35:53 AM »

I’ve been symptom free for a good few weeks after being on treatment for six months, now I feel I am back to square one with all the horrible symptoms returning.
Is this something that happens with this condition? I am increasing the Vagifem & Ovestin dosage in the hope I can win this battle and return back to what I was before, symptom free.

Any help and advice would be sooooo welcome  :)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 11:06:37 AM by Gracie »

Joaniepat

Re: Vaginal Atrophy & Flare-ups
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 11:37:01 AM »

Hi Gracie, yes, I think it is something that can happen. You're doing the right thing increasing the dose, and I hope you feel better soon.
JP x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 12:32:56 PM »

Yep.  Sometimes one's hormones cause VA flare-up.  If you get the need2P feelings, take pain relief regularly.  I swallow 'nurofen', 2 capsules 3 times a day to ease symptoms.

If U are able, insert an extra 'vagifem' today i.e. mid afternoon as well as at night. 

Gracie

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 01:22:29 PM »

Thanks ladies  :)

I was trying to think what I did to cause the flare up and the last thing I thought was hormones, at 72 I assumed it couldn’t be, but putting two and two together I am still suffering with hot flushes albeit only minor.  Yes, its got to be still hormones messing me about.

Will let you know how this flare up goes now that I have increased the dosage and hopefully help others in the process, your mind can go all over the place with this condition  :(

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2022, 03:16:02 PM »

Hi Gracie:  I was of a similar age at diagnosis and it took me almost 2 years to finally rid myself of BAD flare ups.  I still get them occasionally and when I do, I reload for 2 weeks and then go back to 5x a week.  It is a nasty condition and my Achilles  heel is stress and hot weather.  Just know, Gracie, you'll get it under control again.  Try a 2 week reloading and that should be the ticket.  Some women need to reload every 6 months.  Good luck.

Gracie

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2022, 03:39:54 PM »

Minusminne, thanks for the link, some helpful advice there!

Yes, last week I had a hot bath to relieve a back muscle problem with bubble bath included. I let my guard down but as I was feeling no VA symptoms I thought I could treat myself, big mistake!
My back is fine though!!  ::)

Gracie

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2022, 03:44:15 PM »

Thanks, Whatsupwiththis. Yes I have started to increase the dosage of Vagifem & Ovestin and hopefully get it back under control.
Everyone else's experience is very helpful here, stops the anxiety of it all.  :)

Gracie

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2022, 10:18:08 AM »

An update. By increasing the dosage of mainly Ovestin used locally 3 times a day, my symptoms are back under control.
I decided not to increase the Vagifem dosage as I was already using that every day, but it's all about experimenting at the early stages of this condition so I will see how it all goes!

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2022, 01:58:26 PM »

PHEW!   :medal:  it doesn't take much for our sensitive parts to complain! 

Gracie

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2022, 03:02:48 PM »

Forgot to mention how important moisturizer is, I use sylk and it seems vital and necessary to use. Still coming to terms with a condition I had never heard of before!

Gynaikeíos

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2022, 09:03:38 AM »

What did we do before it?  ::)  ;D

Hoping you are feeling very comfortable again Gracie.  It is good that you  find the right combination for you .  :)

Gracie

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2022, 02:51:22 PM »

I have been reading a lot about VA and it seems that a lot of women are suffering in silence, they are not seeking help. Is that the reason why a lot of doctors and nurses are not aware and will happily prescribe antibiotics for non-existent bladder infections.

When I first went to the doctors with what I presumed was a bladder infection (my first ever) a sample was sent to the hospital and came back negative. The nurse phoned me and asked if I was still suffering from the severe burning I was experiencing, when I answered yes she mentioned giving me antibiotics  anyway!
Not once did any doctor or nurse mention the words Vaginal Atrophy to me, it seems to be the biggest mystery out there with most health professionals, male and female.

More women need to come forward, not suffer in silence and get help.  I shouldn’t have got to the age of 72 and never heard of the chronic condition called Vaginal Atrophy.

I hope this thread helps others reading it, don't delay in getting help, you don't have to suffer  :)

dahliagirl

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2022, 05:32:18 PM »

I had several tests for vaginal infections before I met a locum who thought I should be using the vagifem that the consultant had prescribed for me (but I didn't know about because no one had ever told me how to get the prescription, or that it had been prescribed  ::) >:( )

Anyway, after years of being fine, I seem to be having a flare-up similar to the early days. Sore, smelly and uncomfortable sitting  :-X  :-\ :-[ I came on here for a look, and realised I used to use Multigyn actigel to rebalance pH so I have been along to the chemist and got some and have upped the vagifem (substitute).

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2022, 06:07:11 PM »

Certain vaginal conditions are smelly.

Buy copies of "Me and My Menopausal Vagina", read and pass on ;-)

Gracie

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2022, 02:30:22 PM »

"Me and My Menopausal Vagina"
Can I just say something about the title of this book, I wouldn't want to be on a zoom call with that title in the background showing on my book shelves, nope definitely not!  :)
Pages: [1] 2