Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan 100 mg Vaginally - Safe to use Continuously?  (Read 2602 times)

Zar

Utrogestan 100 mg Vaginally - Safe to use Continuously?
« on: February 07, 2022, 12:31:00 PM »

Hi all

Is it safe to use Utrogestan 100 mg vaginally continuously every day/night? I noticed on here some people have said they use it every second night as opposed to every night as the absorption is much better vaginally, so every second night is fine. I'm loving how I feel using it this way (every night), feeling really quite content and my bloating has gone away, it feels like the hormones are finally nicely balanced (although I hope I don't speak too soon😳), so I'd like to stick with this, but I'm now worried that perhaps it's not safe to use vaginally EVERY day - perhaps I'm getting too much progesterone now? I'm also using Evorel 100 patches. Hope someone can advise. I don't fancy calling the doctor as they will say it's not licensed for vaginal use. Thanks for your help. 😊
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 01:10:17 PM by Zar »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Utrogestan 100 mg Vaginally - Safe to use Continuously?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2022, 12:55:33 PM »

If it ain't broke?  Hopefully someone will be along.  Do you regular scans offered to check the lining of the womb?

Zar

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 01:12:21 PM »

Hi CLKD

Thanks for your reply. The nurse at my surgery had said that having a scan is not something they'd do as a matter of course, it would only happen to investigate something suspicious.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2022, 01:49:39 PM »

I think that she is incorrect.   :-\

Are U able to put 'utrogestan 100mg' into the search box to see if threads pop up? 

CherryC

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2022, 04:11:02 PM »

I was prescribed 100mg Utrogestan daily by my consultant, along with 100mg Estradot patch - she knows I use the Utrogestan vaginally. 
I believe those prescribed every other day are on a lower dose of Estrogen. Hope that helps.

Zar

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2022, 07:18:12 PM »

Ah ... thank you CherryC - that's exactly the confirmation I was looking for. That makes sense that every other day should be for those on a lower does of estrogen.

CLKD - I also think she is incorrect. I'll pay for a scan at some point if I have to, but I really shouldn't have to.

Mandyjw

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2022, 07:33:23 PM »

I’ve used utro vaginally every day for 3 years after I had my ablation my gynaecologist said it’s absolutely fine to use this way I also use 1 pump of estriol gel daily x

Zar

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2022, 07:50:30 PM »

Mandyjw - That's also reassuring - thank you!

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2022, 09:30:39 AM »

Hi there Zar - your doc at the practice is not incorrect. They do not send women for an endometrial scan unless there is a medical reason to do so. There will be a pathway for referral. If you are under a menopause clinic and are being prescribed an off-licence HRT regime eg for reasons of severe progesdterone intolernce, then this sometimes happens routinely ( ie a scan) but it would be unusual. Unfortunately if you want to monitor the effect of sn off-licence HRt regime it is necessary to get a private scan, but I realise this might be out of reach financially for my women ( I think the cheapest is about £100?).

Alternate day vaginal utrogestan is very much off licence and women who are prescribed this usually attend a private clinic I think. The  thing is I would always start with the licensed dose and see how your womb behaves and how well you tolerate taking it daily. If no bleeding and you feel well - then continue to take it daily. If no bleeding but you don't feel so well then try alternate day if your doc approves.  Any bleeding beyond the 6 month mark should be reported to your doc as the balance may be wrong.

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2022, 10:42:51 AM »

:thankyou:   Hurdity

Traceylr

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2022, 11:50:02 AM »

hi there Zar,
I have used utrogestan 100mgs vaginally, continuously for 5 years. I have had 2 uterine scans in those years and all good! It suits me very well using it this way, no side effects and it appears to be doing its job. I use a 50mcg oestrogen patch . I have tried every other day utrogestan ( vaginally) but did get some break through spotting , so every day appears to be the dose I need . Hope this helps .