Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Runny nose and sneezing.  (Read 1222 times)

Thesnoogle

• First Flush
Runny nose and sneezing.
« on: January 21, 2022, 10:13:40 PM »

Hi. I am new here. 49 and I started oetrogel six weeks ago. I take two pumps.

Over the last two to three weeks I have had a horrendous runny nose and sneezing. It’s not covid! I am not ill.  It feels allergic but I have not started using any new products. And antihistamines do not help.

Is there any chance it could be the oestrogel? I have reduced the dose to 0.75 pumps total. Will this help?

I just need to know if it could be the gel and what to do. It’s really affecting my life. But my migraines are at last under control after starting HRT.

There was nothing mentioned in the drug info for oestrogel. But when I googled non-allergic rhinitis, HRT was mentioned as a possible cause. Has anyone experienced this?

Many thanks!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Runny nose and sneezing.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2022, 09:19:03 AM »

Morning.  I've had allergic rhinitis since the 1970s.  A damned nuisance it is too!  Change of room temperature in particular.  MayB buy 'beconase' nasal spray over the counter, it works for me.  Used once a day when necessary. 

Allergies in general can become more noticeable during peri-menopause. 

:welcomemm:

Mary G

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 08:59:06 PM »

Thesnoogle, yes, I had the same problem with the contraceptive pill in my 20s (Eugynon 30) and to a lesser extent with Angeliq oral HRT.   It was like a never ending bout of rhinitis.   I had allergy tests which all came back negative.   With the pill, I went on to develop eczema which hung around for years.

I would guess that it's some kind of hormonal reaction but with HRT I found it wore off after a few months.

If it persists, you might have to consider a different form of HRT but I would stick with transdermal because it is always recommended for migraine sufferers.

It's good that you migraines have improved, it's probably because your hormones are more stable.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 09:23:10 PM »

Interesting about The Pill - I never had problems until I began taking it but never connected it.  I had breakthrough bleeding on The Pill when I used 'beconase' nasal spray  :-\

Aprilflower

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 10:18:52 PM »

Non allergic rhinitis can be triggered by many things.  Strong smells, particularly chemicals, are one.  Also temperature changes, spicy food and, my bugbear, Aircon.

Is there anything else in your environment that may be causing it.