Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Bleeding after almost a year on HRT  (Read 8397 times)

Pinkwindsor21

Bleeding after almost a year on HRT
« on: January 14, 2022, 06:48:50 PM »

Worried sick here…

I’ve been on combined HRT since last March and had spotting last November. Then I had abdominal cramps which I thought were IBS but mentioned it all to my GP. I’m 55.

Yesterday, I had spotting (light pink and white) and today I had what looked like a period, along with period type cramping.

My full blood count tests are fine and the GP couldn’t feel anything when she felt my abdomen. I have a scan on Tuesday but I’m so anxious.

Can anyone please chat to me with knowledge or just reach out?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Bleeding after almost a year on HRT
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 07:37:27 PM »

Could it be your hormones over-riding the HRT? 

A scan will give a base line.  Always best to get that done if there is unexplained bleeding. 

Pinkwindsor21

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 07:52:14 PM »

I’m not sure.. is that normal?

Ibuprofen isn’t working on these cramps and my hip bones ache  :'(

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 08:23:09 PM »

Hi pinkwindsor. Were you still having periods when you started HRT?

Taz x

Pinkwindsor21

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 08:29:25 PM »

No I wasn’t…  :'(

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 08:43:46 PM »

Reading a few sites on the internet it does say that intermittent bleeding on conti HRT in a post menopausal woman can happen during the first six months to a year. You are still in this timeframe so try not to worry too much. It's good your doc is being thorough.

I'm sorry the Ibuprofen isn't working. You can take paracetamol at the same time which might help lessen the pain. Also a hot water bottle can really help.

Let us know how you get on with your scan.

Taz x   :hug:

Pinkwindsor21

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 08:48:42 PM »

Thank you so much… I’m so worried.

The first spotting was in November but today was the actual period like bleed. Is that still within the timeframe?

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2022, 09:02:38 PM »

How long were you without a period before you started hrt? Although meno I'd defined as one year without a bleed there are some women who have a genuine period after this. The scary things are usually pain free at this point, having cramps may be a good thing. If it isn't a period it could be a fibroid or polyp.

Pinkwindsor21

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2022, 09:14:38 PM »

I actually can’t remember when I last had a period as I just had patches before switching to the combined as the original wasn’t helping with menopausal symptoms. I guess I’m almost 2 years without a period but that really is a complete guess! 

Grheliz1

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2022, 09:43:51 AM »

I had this and it was polyps, along with hyperplasia. I had to have the polyps removed (this has happened three times now) and eventually a Mirena was inserted. Utrogestan didn't seem to work for me as uterine protection. I have six-monthly hysteroscopies. They took it seriously and were very thorough. No pre-cancerous cells found.

At its worst I had cramps in my lower back and thighs and quite heavy, period-like bleeding.

The Mirena has sorted me out and I'm almost at discharge stage. I wanted to stay on HRT. If I'd stopped the Oestrogel the problem might have resolved but I can't do that: my life becomes intolerable.

Nas

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2022, 10:38:30 AM »

Grheliz, I am in a similar situation.

Utrogestan doesn’t do a lot for me either. However because I’ve had breast cancer, they prefer me to say on it.

Are polyps caused by oestrogen? I had a hysteroscopy last April and nothing was found. Bleeding has persisted, so after  much pushing, Im having another womb scan in a weeks time,  to check the uterine lining etc

I can’t come off oestrogen either, else life is hell. Did they ever offer you a different type of progesterone, or just the coil?

Pinkwindsor21

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2022, 10:52:36 AM »

I get very confused with it all but what I do know, if that I’m really scared  :'(

I’ve been on Everol 50 and Utrogestan 100 since March.

It looks like the end of a period on my tissue paper, small trace of dry light brown.

Abdominal pains are getting to me though as they’ve been there for a couple of months. I’d put it down to IBS as I have that but clearly not that now.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 11:03:01 AM by Pinkwindsor21 »

Dotty

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2022, 11:30:08 AM »

Hi how long have you been on hrt ?  It could be that you're not ready for a continuous regime just yet. x

Pinkwindsor21

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2022, 11:40:24 AM »

Since March 2021…. Before that, I tried just a patch for a 3-4 months but they didn’t help night sweats etc. So my GP suggested the ones I’m on now so I started this new regime 8 months ago.

Dotty

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2022, 01:27:30 PM »

Hi before you started the patches, how long had you gone without a period ? ( sorry for all the questions ) x
Pages: [1] 2 3 4