Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Estrogen in HRT "building up" - what's your opinion?  (Read 1652 times)

Gilla999

Estrogen in HRT "building up" - what's your opinion?
« on: January 11, 2022, 10:33:55 AM »

Curious to know what others think and not sure how to word this clearly - but do you think that after for example 3 or 4 days of using (starting / increasing / decreasing) HRT that you reach the new level, or do you think that HRT builds up / reduces in your system more gradually over a longer period of time?

I think I have noticed a couple of times that when I have tried to make reductions to my HRT it can take a few weeks (eg 3-4 weeks) before I start to get side effects as a result of doing that. But I'm not sure if that's just my imagination and HRT is actually much more quicker acting than that to respond to any dose changes.

Just curious to know about people's opinions!

sheila99

Re: Estrogen in HRT "building up" - what's your opinion?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 10:46:29 AM »

It builds up over 3 months. There is a reason for it posted in a previous thread. It seems it takes 3 months for all your cells to replace themselves so it's only then that they're all oestrogen rich. Presumably something similar happens when you decrease.

Gilla999

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 10:53:40 AM »

Thank you Sheila! That's really interesting. I wasn't sure if I was imagining it that I wasn't "feeling" changes sometimes for a few weeks. Thanks again x

Gnatty

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 01:40:30 PM »

Just to muddy the water, I have equally heard that when reducing, this is noticed really quickly, within a day or two. So I don't know....

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 02:01:24 PM »

Perhaps it depends on the symptoms? Hot flushes usually go in a week or two but my anxiety and insomnia took the full 3 months.

VictoryV

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2022, 01:40:28 PM »

I think it’s like a running engine, if you trickle fuel in it will run but the fuel tank reserve won’t grow. It takes 3 months to fill the fuel tank but the fuel tank depletes quickly if you lower the dose quickly.

Unfortunately donut here can tell you all about reducing effects as I’ve just done 5 days on 2 pumps of Oestrogel from 2 pumps and an Estradot100 patch. Felt ok to night of fifth day and then the joint aches and nocturia came back with a vengeance along with heavy period. Day 1 of 4 pumps and off for a run, aches gone! Got a stern telling off from GP this morning too!

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 05:31:30 PM »

It's to do with oestrogen receptors and a whole since I read about all of this but basically they work on two levels - quite technical. There are different types of receptors. One type enables oestrogen to "work" quickly (as  far as I recall through a system kown as "signalling"), the other leads to cellular changes ie within the cells. It's not a question of it building up as such - just that cellular changes take time eg collagen or bone changes.  So the instant lift you feel when you increase oestrogen ( and the downside you feel when it reduces) like during the menstrual cycle, is different from how you will feel when the metabolic and cellular changes have taken place - so these take a while both to take effect and then for the effects to wear off so to speak.

It builds up over 3 months. There is a reason for it posted in a previous thread. It seems it takes 3 months for all your cells to replace themselves so it's only then that they're all oestrogen rich. Presumably something similar happens when you decrease.

I haven't come across this idea - was there a link? Please could you show me where? Thanks :)

Hurdity x

Gilla999

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 07:35:42 AM »

Thank you all, this is very interesting and helpful. Hurdity what you say exactly matches what I have experienced. I won't bore you all with the details but in my journey to successfully reduce my Lenzetto from being too high I have noticed that sometimes I feel awful side effects of doing so within a few days, but I have felt sure that 2 or 3 times I have seemed fine at first and it's only been a month or sometimes more that I more gradually start to not feel good.

On the flip side at times when I've needed to increase it I have felt the positive effects of doing so within a couple of days, but then have also still felt there is also something else that goes on at a "longer term" level. What you've described Hurdity fits perfectly with what I've experienced.

What also love to see the thread Sheila if you have one - I'm quite interested in the mechanics of it all!

sheila99

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2022, 10:01:16 AM »

I'll try and find it but I can't remember who posted and there don't seem to be any good words to search on.

Postmeno3

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2022, 10:06:36 AM »

It might have been me or in response to me bleating (sorry, sheila99) about the three month wait? I don't think it was a very full thing, or link, just saying about the cells? 🤔