Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Possible positive covid result (despite booster)  (Read 1958 times)

Katejo

Possible positive covid result (despite booster)
« on: December 12, 2021, 11:53:35 AM »

Hi All

On Friday I heard that I had been in contact with someone who has since tested positive. I stayed off work and had a PCR on Friday plus also did my own lateral flow tests on Friday and Saturday. All tests were negative.
However I had to repeat the lateral flow this morning because I was due to take part in a dance performance later today. The  tutor asked us all to repeat the test today as a precaution since 2 other people have already had to pull out. I got a positive rapid flow test today though the line was very faint. I have just come back from doing a new PCR so have to wait for the result.

I am wondering how common it is for the rapid flow to give a false positive. Has anyone else had this  happen? I know very few who have had Covid at all so can't ask. The only symptoms are like a very mild cold. My throat is a tiny bit dry/scratchy and that's it. i don't need any painkillers and I am doing normal stuff at home.

I am dreading 10 days at home and really hope that it isn't Omicron as my contacts will also have to isolate. My booster was more than a month ago

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Possible positive covid result (despite booster)
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2021, 12:21:16 PM »

Yep. It's common.  Take it again ......... it really does depend on how deep the cotton bud is pushed into the throat and nose. 1 is supposedly to touch the gag reflex  :o or it's not gone deeply enough.   :o  :-X

Mostly germs live in the nose ;-).  Hence the sneezing danger.

We can carry any virus regardless of being jabbed/not. 

R U nervous about your dance later?

Dierdre

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2021, 01:15:10 PM »

The unreliablilty of these rapid flow tests is usually with false negatives. They tend to show positive only when you are highly infectious. My granddaughter was coughing for a week and daily LFD tests were negative, took a PCR and was positive. The same has happened to quite a few of my friends, family and colleagues, i wouldnt rely on them at all. The fact you have had a postive even a faint one is very likely to be correct.
Your symtoms will be mild because of your vaccines and booster.  Hope you're feeling better soon.

Katejo

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2021, 01:39:48 PM »

Yep. It's common.  Take it again ......... it really does depend on how deep the cotton bud is pushed into the throat and nose. 1 is supposedly to touch the gag reflex  :o or it's not gone deeply enough.   :o  :-X

Mostly germs live in the nose ;-).  Hence the sneezing danger.

We can carry any virus regardless of being jabbed/not. 

R U nervous about your dance later?
i was a bit nervous but definitely wanted to do it. Disappointed that i can't now go.

Katejo

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2021, 01:48:08 PM »

The unreliablilty of these rapid flow tests is usually with false negatives. They tend to show positive only when you are highly infectious. My granddaughter was coughing for a week and daily LFD tests were negative, took a PCR and was positive. The same has happened to quite a few of my friends, family and colleagues, i wouldnt rely on them at all. The fact you have had a postive even a faint one is very likely to be correct.
Your symtoms will be mild because of your vaccines and booster.  Hope you're feeling better soon.
Another student at my dance class tested negative before the last class but then positive shortly afterwards. However I have heard that she did feel rough for at least a couple of days.

At the moment I have virtually no symptoms, just a very slight tickle/irritation  in my throat/occasional dry cough. Perhaps because of the booster etc. Hoping it isn't going to get any worse. I have done the test one more time just to compare. The tests given out here now are nose only and so much easier to do. Made in Germany not China.

I did eventually get a positive result on the 3rd PCR so had to isolate but only until tomorrow. I now feel fine again. Only the cough remains and very slight.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 04:31:21 PM by Katejo »

Dierdre

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2021, 02:02:31 PM »

This new variant is showing milder symtoms so far and to date no deaths, which is good. Shame about missing your dance performance but hopefully you'll be ok and out of isolation for Christmas. Unless we're all back in lockdown by then anyway  :(

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2021, 02:54:06 PM »

This variant - despite the who-hha by the Guardian yesterday  >:( as far as I can find out hasn't had any hospitalisations. 

Katejo

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2021, 03:13:36 PM »

This variant - despite the who-hha by the Guardian yesterday  >:( as far as I can find out hasn't had any hospitalisations.
  The BBC reports some patients with the variant in hospital but they may have been admitted for other reasons. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59627188

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2021, 05:46:19 PM »

Tnx. 

Kathleen

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2021, 03:11:15 PM »

Hello ladies.

The lunchtime news reported the first Omicron death today.

Take care everyone.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2021, 03:16:35 PM »

However: what underlying factors are involved in each 'case'?  Of course, there comes the grey area of patient confidentiality so 'they' can feed us what they want us to believe.  So sad for all concerned.