Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Alcohol and fast heart rate  (Read 3611 times)

Wombat

Alcohol and fast heart rate
« on: December 09, 2021, 09:31:31 PM »

I have terrible palpitations (my worst peri menopause symptoms), but more recently, I’ve noticed that drinking alcohol gives me a terrible fast heart rate. This keeps me awake all night. Even a couple of glasses makes this happen. Has anyone else experienced this? I used to be able to drink but it’s now becoming unbearable.  :(

gm_thomson

Re: Alcohol and fast heart rate
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2021, 03:15:50 AM »

Yep I am going through the same thing. I always used to get it if i drank too much but now its after 1 frigging 5oz glass of wine. Two hours later my heart shoots to 100+ and stays like that for hours. Literally yesterday I had a glass at 5pm and it went to 115 till 3.30am. WTF.  And I am pretty sure the shivers i had at 9pm were related too. I saw a cardiologist a month ago and he said my heart was fine so dont know whats going on. Only a few weeks ago i could have two glasses and no issues. (Although three or more would cause racing heart but only for an hour or so)

gm_thomson

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2021, 03:18:35 AM »

Wombat

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2021, 09:19:55 AM »

Thanks for taking the time to respond, and the link to the previous post is helpful. It’s soooo frustrating! I’ve never smoked, don’t do drugs, exercise etc and my only vice is a glass or two at the weekend (I’m not a heavy drinker) and now I can’t even do this without feeling awful!! Suggestions for nice non alcoholic substitutes welcome!!!!!

gm_thomson

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2021, 02:54:16 PM »

its very depressing. I like a glass of wine with dinner sometimes. I cant even have that without racing heart etc?? Its not fair sigh. Last time I ended up taking some OTC sleeping meds to sleep through it which worked but wasnt ideal obv.

NicolaJ

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2021, 05:13:45 PM »

I’m the same and have been for a while. I have gone for a G&T instead with double the amount  of tonic. I find that gets out of my system quicker than wine. I’ve also found ‘Zero-secco’ from Aldi, this is a superb alternative to the alcoholic version. At parties I will have one of normal Prosecco and the rest ‘zero’! And this is from a girl who can party very hard!!!! Who’d have thought it would come to this! 😩

Haydo

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2021, 05:36:13 PM »

I’ve been the same for a while now.  A tonic water with lime and ice (I  can pretend it’s a vodka and tonic, sometimes I’ve put a very small amount of vodka in but even that has an effect on me ☹️).  A spritzer with very little wine. Elderflower cordial with sparkling water.  Asda do quite a nice non-alcoholic Prosecco too.  All pretty boring but needs must! 

Wombat

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2021, 08:36:07 PM »

Thanks all. I feel a trip to Aldi coming on - if I put zero- secco in a posh glass maybe I’ll be able to convince myself!  :-\

gm_thomson

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2021, 12:40:55 AM »

I am wondering if there is anything else we can do.. supplements or something? Magnesium?

Do you have any other symptoms with it? When did it start? Suddenly or over time? Is it always happening or just sometimes?

Dierdre

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2021, 09:45:18 AM »

I enjoy a couple of glasses of wine, but I always make sure I drink water during or afterwards. Wine drank alone can be very dehydrating and that will cause fast heart rate everytime.  Most mediterranean people drink wine with every meal but they always have water on the table too.

Paz23

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2021, 11:41:13 AM »

Racing/pounding heart was one of my main Peri symptoms before I went on HRT, it was every night as soon as my head it the pillow, thankfully HRT stopped it. But whenever I drink alcohol it’s worse than ever. I can just about manage 2 glasses of wine but any more than that I’m awake literally all night with it.
Also it was the main issue I had after my first covid jab - I could feel the pounding in every bit of my body, especially my head and it was worse if I tried to lay down and go to sleep     :(

Paz23

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2021, 11:50:00 AM »

And yes drinking plenty of water at the same time so you don’t get dehydrated helps.

Helen1968

• First Flush
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2021, 04:10:34 PM »

Most of the low/no alcohol wines are pretty poor tbh - very happy to hear if anyone has found anything decent! - but some of the fizzy ones are not too bad (but really sweet)…alcohol free beer is all pretty good though if you like beer. And the alcohol free gin-substitutes are pretty good (but ridiculously expensive for a soft drink!)…

Wombat

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2021, 04:48:38 PM »

I am wondering if there is anything else we can do.. supplements or something? Magnesium?

Do you have any other symptoms with it? When did it start? Suddenly or over time? Is it always happening or just sometimes?

Thanks- I have tried magnesium but it gives me a dodgy stomach. The only other symptoms when I get a fast heart rate after drinking is sometimes a bloated stomach. I’ve had a fast heart rate at night every now and then and I get terrible ectopic beats (especially after eating). I know there’s a link between the stomach and heart. I have bought a non alcoholic gin today just so I can feel part of the action over Christmas

gm_thomson

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2021, 12:46:16 AM »

I think i might look into those too, something to try anyway!