Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Thrush first time in ages  (Read 3826 times)

suzysunday

Thrush first time in ages
« on: December 08, 2021, 02:22:29 PM »

Feeling fed up with a bout of thrush, haven't had it in ages.   Couldn't get through to the doctor so I have bought a canesten pessary and cream.  I'm 63 and use ovestin local hrt. It says on the pack of canesten up to age 60 so hope it's ok. I had a bit hotter bath than usual on Sunday, 6 hours after sex then the thrush started Tuesday so I don't know if there's a connection.  I've been run down for a while now I'm worried I'm going to have more vagina problems after being ok for quite a while.  Any advice?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Thrush first time in ages
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2021, 03:27:10 PM »

remind me - which VA treatment have you been using and how often?

'canestan' had me sitting in a cooling bath for hours as it burned.  Badly. 

suzysunday

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2021, 04:05:04 PM »

I use ovestin about 3 times a week.  I have used canesten in the past ( last time about 3 years ago) with no problem.

Gracie

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2021, 04:10:37 PM »

If it helps regarding the Canesten I asked my doctor if women over 70 shouldn't use Canesten, he said no, it's ok to use.  He didn't elaborate but I've always kept a tube just in case I ever need it.

The reason for my visit to the doctor was because I thought I had a very bad thrush problem but it turned out to be the beginning of Vaginal Atrophy.
He prescribed Daktacort to relieve the thrush symptoms but also he told me to make an appointment with the gynaecologist.
The Daktacort stung like hell so it was obvious it wasn't thrush. Now using Vagifem and Novestin.

Postmeno3

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2021, 04:13:40 PM »

I think it's to do with licensing and/or these ancient theories that everything has to stop at 60! 🙄

suzysunday

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2021, 04:27:58 PM »

Thanks for the reassurance about the age thing and canesten.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2021, 04:41:21 PM »

I read on another forum a while back as the reason being that Thrush is less likely over age of 60 so needs checking. I have been a lifelong sufferer of thrush, after every prescription for antibiotics, so certainly know what it is. I am 58 but shall be knocking a few years off of that in the future then. I don't want to have to go and derobe for GP and anyway takes over two weeks to get an in person appointment at our surgery, if you are lucky!

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2021, 04:56:30 PM »

Live yoghurt eaten and applied: cleanses the gut from top to bottom.  If I have elective surgery I eat lots of LIVE yoghurt B4 admission to hospital.  Lines the gut in case ABs are required.

Let us know how you get on?

Aprilflower

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2021, 05:01:47 PM »

Feeling fed up with a bout of thrush, haven't had it in ages.   Couldn't get through to the doctor so I have bought a canesten pessary and cream.  I'm 63 and use ovestin local hrt. It says on the pack of canesten up to age 60 so hope it's ok. I had a bit hotter bath than usual on Sunday, 6 hours after sex then the thrush started Tuesday so I don't know if there's a connection.  I've been run down for a while now I'm worried I'm going to have more vagina problems after being ok for quite a while.  Any advice?

They put the age limit on the packet because post memo ladies are less likely to get thrush.  They recommend seeing a doctor first, if you are post meno, in case it's something else. 

To be honest I don't see the harm.  If it doesn't work, then see your doctor.

suzysunday

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2021, 05:10:22 PM »

Yes Tinkerbell as you say, I've had thrush many times and know the feeling and getting to see a doctor will be ages.  I understand that caution is advised but I need something NOW.   Is flucanazole only on prescription?

suzysunday

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2021, 05:13:29 PM »

Oh yes I see it is.  Have to try canesten now I have bought it.

Postmeno3

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2021, 05:28:19 PM »

There may be the same +60 issue with the oral treatment at the pharmacy, not sure, but it's a maybe. As thrush is often triggered by intercourse, is the +60 assumption that it's not happening? 🤔

Joaniepat

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2021, 05:40:57 PM »

You can get the Canesten combo of internal pessary or cream plus the external cream from supermarkets. It's not like buying a bottle of Scotch, no-one will check your age  ;D
JP x

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2021, 05:43:43 PM »

Or ask to look ?  ......... thrush thrives on sugars.

suzysunday

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2021, 05:44:43 PM »

Postmeno3 and joaniepat thanks for making me laugh!
Pages: [1] 2