Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can I take 200 mg utrogestan daily, continuously?  (Read 12019 times)

EllaAurora

Re: Can I take 200 mg utrogestan daily, continuously?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2021, 04:35:25 PM »

Hi Teresa,
I hope you are feeling better already.

You asked about the 200mg utro dose. I'm taking this continuously now for some 3.5 months. Its unusual dose but my doctor prescribed it as I consistently felt better during the 'utro weeks' of my previous regime, and as she wanted to minimise fluctuations which in my case seemed to be the source of symptoms. I also tried 100mg conti, but it was too low a dose for me and I felt no effect from it.

I am much better now vs a few months ago, so I'm assuming utro is helping, though it can partly be due to increase in oestrogen as well. I find utrogestan particularly helpful with sleep -most nights sleeping now 7-8 hours with no interruptions-which is a major improvement and I'm very thankful for it.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on. xxx

Nas

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2021, 05:01:40 PM »

Ella, do you feel drowsy the following day on the 200mg utrogestan dose? I’m wondering whether the 200 would curb my bleeding issues on the patch
( although I’ve switched to sandrena now to see if I can get away with the bleeding on that !)

I may email my menopause clinic and enquire 🤞👍

Ana21

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2021, 06:27:45 PM »

I've been taking 200 mg continuously for about 2.5 months.  Both my estrogen and progesterone were increased at that time.  I take it orally at bedtime.  It has a fairly strong sedative effect for me and acts like a sleeping pill without any morning grogginess.  I've been sleeping like a baby.  I hope that effect lasts.  The quality of my sleep has improved so much.  It's nice to wake up feeling well rested and ready to start the day.

EllaAurora

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2021, 07:25:52 PM »

Ella, do you feel drowsy the following day on the 200mg utrogestan dose? I’m wondering whether the 200 would curb my bleeding issues on the patch
( although I’ve switched to sandrena now to see if I can get away with the bleeding on that !)

I may email my menopause clinic and enquire 🤞👍

Hi Nas, I'm not feeling more drowsy than normally, as far as I can still remember what 'normal' felt  ;) (I've always been a bit sleepy in the mornings and prefer not getting up very early). I had so many months with really bad sleep so sleeping now 7-8 hours without waking up feels like a blessing. I remember when I started with this dose I felt tired during the days but its difficult to say if it was the utrogestan or just simply the exhaustion. I've taken it now soon 4 mo and as said don't feel any negative effects.

Hope you're feeling well too! xx

« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 07:31:52 PM by EllaAurora »

martha

• First Flush
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2021, 10:27:00 PM »

I took 200mg utrogeston nocte for three months with two pumps of oestrogel. It had a miraculous effect on my sleep. I had been unable to get off to sleep for hours and then was waking every hour with very light and unsatisfying sleep.

The problem was that I started to put on weight and feel bloated. I went back to 100mg utrogeston and had terrible sleep again. I seemed to be getting withdrawal symptoms. After research I found that progesterone acted on the GABA receptors in the brain, just like benzodiazepines.  I decided to taper more slowly, so I ****ed the utrogeston and squeezed out a small blob which I discarded. Every week I reduced the dose until I was removing three blobs from the capsule. I then switched to 100mg utrogeston taken vaginally. Due to the progesterone being absorbed into the blood stream rather than passing through the liver I estimate that I am getting 150mg utrogeston every day.

Six weeks on and I am getting some sleep. I am practising acceptance and gratitude for any sleep I get. Relaxation exercises are helping me to get off to sleep. It is not perfect, but better than it was.

NikNik

• First Flush
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2021, 11:37:14 AM »

Thanks for all the info, I'm finding it really helpful!

Question: been advised by Gynae to increase Utrogestan from 100 to 200mg to stop bleeding - Has anyone gone the other way & lessened the estrogen  to 1 pump & stayed with 100mg Utro? Am I right in thinking it's the estrogen causing the bleeding?

I'm 8 months in on continuous regime (2 pumps Estradiol + 100mg Utro), had scans & biopsy last week due to bleeding & womb thickening, awaiting results.

My first post & relieved to feel like I'm not alone in this  :)

katyh75

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2021, 01:29:55 PM »

Do you get on alright with 200mg continuously? I'm really struggling - day 11.

I take Utrogestan 200 mg daily continuously. This was the advice of Newson GP, to control frequent bleeding, which was investigated to exclude problems.
I also have Evorel 75 patch plus two pumps of oestrogel daily and it was this gel top up which finally resolved my sleep problems.
Pages: 1 [2]