Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Increased anxiety since positive covid test  (Read 2675 times)

Fusseh

Increased anxiety since positive covid test
« on: December 02, 2021, 11:21:20 AM »

Am wondering if this is just me or if there are others out there...

I am 49, peri and tested positive for Covid mid Oct. Thankfully covid symptoms were mild and I was recovered after 10 days. But since then I have experienced anxiety off the scale, paranoia and very low mood. I keep a diary so this is quite well evidenced as significantly worse since then. I just feel different emotionally. Mind is going 100 miles an hour with negative thoughts and my mood has gone through the floor and I have had suicidal thoughts at times (I am not planning this).

I have had terrible mood dips since perimenopause started about 3 years ago but they have never  lasted this long or been this bad.

I am beginning to wonder whether I am experiencing psychological effects as a result of covid possibly affecting hormones or hrt effectiveness.

I have been on evorel sequi for 2.5 years.

Would love your thoughts.

Gnatty

Re: Increased anxiety since positive covid test
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 12:21:51 PM »

I can't offer much insight I'm afraid except I believe that women who suffer with long Covid find their symptoms are greatly helped with HRT. So my thinking is that maybe you need to increase your dose to deal with these symptoms of anxiety. I think Louise Newson has made a either a podcast or a leaflet about long Covid and hrt. If you have a Google you will hopefully find it x

Fusseh

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 06:25:09 PM »

Thanks Gnatty I will definitely watch it. A previous Google search didn't turn anything up, but didn't look for Louise Newsmen.
Thanks again

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 06:51:16 PM »

It can go on a bit.  Psychologically we are under constant fire from various sources.  The government doesn't help. 

If u are feeling in general, better from the virus symptoms, that's good.  A virus can impact on issues without us being aware.  A virus of any type can make us really, really tired.  If sleep is broken the mood can be low.  The feeling of "Phew, I've survived" can impact too. 

What's the worst feeling?  How are your periods?  C-19 has been recorded as affecting women: some have experienced bleeds unexpectedly, occasionally after years of a break.  So if hormones are up and down, moods may also be affected.

You can report your symptoms on the Yellow Card system as any out of the usual info. will help research.  How are your VitD levels, thyroid function: blood test could tell if you require treatment .  Low VitD levels floored me.

Fusseh

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 08:10:05 PM »

Hi CLKD
Thanks for your thoughts. The worst thing is the anxiety and intrusive thoughts. Very busy mind and thoughts are horrible  and negative.

Got on top of sleep and vitd at start of peri luckily so few probs there. Periods all as expected on sequi regimen ( withdrawal bleeds).

I find winter months difficult still, but never this bad.  :'( :'(

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2021, 09:03:18 PM »

Get as much day light as you can.  Eat little and often.  Keep well hydrated.  Rest often.

We aren't meant to be out and about in a 24/7 environment.  Cave man went to bed at dusk and up at first light.  Then someone invented travel  ::) and commitments.

Anxiety can be eased with appropriate medication: my GP gave me propranolol to ease the early morning anxiety surges.  I had 'valium' on an as-necessary basis and now have an emergency pill.  Bachs rescue remedy mouth spray has helped too.

Yoga and tai 'chi can help.  There is no need to put up with anxiety.

suzysunday

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2021, 09:37:48 PM »

I  experience crushing anxiety with any health scare and it's soul destroying . You have my sympathy and understanding.  Please be kind to yourself in these stressful times x

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2021, 09:44:40 PM »

My meno symptoms including anxiety returned for about a month following the covid jab so I don't think it would be surprising if covid made your hrt less effective. Perhaps you could try increasing oestrogen and see if it makes a difference.

sweettooth

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2021, 12:09:47 PM »

Hi fussed,

Yes I have heard that Covid can affect hrt or bring back Meno symptoms.

The vaccine had same effects as you on me.  It’s been horrendous and I’m still not back to pre vaccine.

As others have said Louise Newson mentions Covid and hrt x

JoannFran

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2021, 08:21:25 PM »

Hi there

I just wanted to say that I am experiencing exactly the same as you.  I tested positive for covid on 17th October.  Wasn't too ill and was over those symptoms in 10 days.  However since then my anxiety went through the roof.  I was in a constant state of panic.  My heart rate was always above 100 when resting.  I actually ended up in hospital with SVT (my heart rate went to 210 BPM for an hour).  They kept me in and ran loads of tests and thankfully no damage to the heart.  I am currently wearing a heart monitor for 2 weeks.  I am positive that this is all caused by covid.  I was perimenopausal before but this has ramped up the symptoms 100%.  3 months ago I was running 5k a day, now I'm struggling to walk up the stairs without feeling tired.  I have been put on beta blockers for the high heart rate until we get to the bottom of the cause and these have helped the anxiety.  But I'm still having the very low mood, struggling to feel any enthusiasm for anything, dread about the future. I'm sorry I haven't got any advice but I wanted to let you know you're not alone xxxxx

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2021, 08:32:27 PM »

Viruses can cause all kinds of side effects.  Could it be long covid JoannFran? 

Betablockas should ease anxiety too.  I was given Propranolol to help that early morning anxiety surge.

Listen to your body and rest as much as possible.  VitD levels checked?  It is said that VitD can help with the level of covid symptoms we might suffer.

Dorothy

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2021, 11:16:42 PM »

Depression is very common after flu, so it's not surprising if Covid causes an increase in anxiety or low mood. 

Dierdre

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2022, 09:14:59 AM »

Had covid before Christmas, assumed it was the new variant Omicron has symptons were similar to a bad cold and it was different to when i had it in March 2020 when the symptoms were aching joints, upper respiratory and loss of taste and smell for a month.
Thought I'd done well recovering after a week but now I'm suffering from palpatations and unexplained bruising on my arms, legs and hands.  Last night my elbow felt sore and when i looked that was bruised also. Anxiety off the scale!
Is this Long Covid?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 09:17:52 AM by Dierdre »

Fusseh

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2022, 09:26:54 AM »

Really interesting to read these replies. I can say that as Sheila suggested I increased HRT and just before Christmas symptoms came back under control (so have reduced back to normal dose). I had booster last week with no adverse response thankfully.

I feel Covid did adversely effect my hormone balance even tho hrt may have a protective factor as suggested by Louise Newsome.

I don't have long covid but really feel for those of u who have. Sharing these experiences and getting support is so important. Thanks for all your responses so far.

I am not advocating increasing hrt as I'm not a doctor, but it does seem to have worked for me on this occasion in reducing anxiety and low mood.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2022, 09:36:14 AM »

HRT often needs a hike .............
Pages: [1] 2