Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: post meno bleeding on HRT  (Read 1126 times)

helenc

post meno bleeding on HRT
« on: November 25, 2021, 12:07:15 PM »

Hi everyone - I am new (ish) here and wondered if anyone has been in a similar situation.  In short, I am 57 and have been on evoral sequi hrt for about 15 years with no trouble.  - a couple of months ago my GP put me on a 'non bleed' HRT as they now consider me to be post menopausal but since I started it - I have had irregular bleeding - a trans vaginal scan showed a rather worrying thickening of the endrometrium (5mm - which I am told is the higher end of normal) and I now have to have further tests - I am off the scale worried as I have to have another scan (ultrasound of tummy) next week and probably a biopsy to rule out 'it' - I have generalised anxiety disorder anyway and this has taken my anxiety to another level - has anyone else had this please? (not the anxiety the bleeding with HRT etc)

Dotty

Re: post meno bleeding on HRT
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 01:29:24 PM »

Hi bleeding can happen within 6 months of starting any new hrt, so there is usually no need for investigations unless it continues after this time.

I have had tests twice for post menopausal bleeding and the endometrium was 9mm and then 6mm. Both times all tests were normal and it was just put down to being “one of those things.”

It could also,be that your body is not ready for continuous hrt. Some ladies are still having periods in their late 50s. x

helenc

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 01:36:17 PM »

thank you Dotty - it was just the bleeding that flagged it up - my GP was hopeless and gave no reassurance (probably because she couldnt) - I have the scan next week - I feel I have had a gun to my head for the past few weeks - feeling awful with the stress

helenc

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2021, 01:38:15 PM »

Hi Dotty - thank you for this - I have been on the sequential HRT for ages with no problem so this made me ill with worry - when the 5 mm thickness was found - my GP rang to say it was an 'urgent referral - but I have to wait until next week for the other ultrasound (which could have been done the same time as the trans vaginal one) - arrhhhh x

Dotty

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2021, 02:05:10 PM »

Hi I’m not a doctor, but it’s not an urgent case if you bleed in the first six months of starting, changing any new hrt. X

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2021, 02:07:56 PM »

I think they put it down as urgent because bleeding can be a sign of something nasty though in your case it seems very unlikely. Better to check it out though just to be sure.

helenc

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2021, 05:02:43 PM »

thank you for your responses - I suppose it's because I am 57 (I have been on evoral sequa for about 15 or more years since I started peri menopause in my early 40's and refused to take it until I was about 3 or 4 years into it, then of course refused to come off it due to the horrendous meno symptoms) - My GP said that it needed urgent investigation due to my age, the irregular bleeding and of course the now discovered 5 mm thickening of the endrometrium) - they put me onto the continuous HRT about 2 months ago (a gel and pessary) so that I would stop getting 'periods' but because of the bleeding (prior to the trans vaginal scan) was then put on to patches again 5 weeks ago (the second element of the evoral sequi this time) - so I am all over the place  :'(

Dotty

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2021, 05:46:22 PM »

Hi moving to a continuous hrt can take a while to settle. You’ve had two different regimes in a short space of time, so there’s really no surprise that you are bleeding. X