Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan making me tired and light headed?  (Read 1851 times)

Berto77

Utrogestan making me tired and light headed?
« on: November 23, 2021, 03:31:11 PM »

Started on a 12 day cycle of Utrogesten (100mg x2) last week and am having some side effects. On the 2nd night I took it I felt very dizzy, almost drunk (I never drink so no alcohol involved). I concluded that I had taken the Utrogesten too early and too close to my evening meal and so had intensified effects. I took it right before i went to sleep the following night did not have the same dizziness. My sleep wasn't great though and i was bit groggy and headachy all day until mid afternoon when i perked up a bit. Then last night I tried taking 200mg vaginally right before bed. I slept very well last night but woke up with a headache and am very tired today and a bit light headed. I also had some nausea in the morning.

I feel good and energetic on the estrogen and that is one of the big bonuses for me of hrt but the utrogestan is negating that benefit a bit. I wouldn't mind feeling like this later at night. Could I take the Utrogestan vaginally earlier in the evening at 8 or 9 pm and then hopefully the sleepiness will wear off by the next morning? I don't feel really bad but very drowsy and out of it and i have things I need to get done!

I'm concerned as if the utrogestan keeps having this effect and as I am still having periods and on a cycle will I keep feeling this way on the progesterone part and not really get used to it as I might if I were taking it all the time? Other forms of progesterone have given me migraines which so far the Utro hasn't.

I've heard that some women using the Utrogesten vaginally take a bit less, 100mg is that an option or should I stick to the 200mg?

Any thoughts or advise would be great.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Utrogestan making me tired and light headed?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 04:05:04 PM »

Lots don't get on with the progesterone part of HRT  :-\.  MayB put the product name into the search box.  Make notes ;-)

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 08:16:23 PM »

According to Louise newson but not the manufacturer you can halve the dose if you use it vaginally but I'm not sure if this has been tested for high doses of oestrogen. I stick to the standard dose because I didn't bleed when I tried the lower dose. When you use it for ivf you use it several times a day not just at night. I assume from this taking it at a different time should be OK. If you're late peri and don'thhave a strong cycle of your own you could try a long cycle (6 weeks). I find it better on the cycles where my body doesn't contribute so for me some of it is from too much progesterone.

Berto77

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 09:14:57 PM »

Thanks Sheila, I'm 44 and still having regular cycles (most of the time) and had a bleed while on Evoral 50 for a month without taking any progesterone (GP had incorrect instructions for Utrogestan at first). I am not sure where I am in the grand scheme of Peri. Symptoms I had like hot flashes, palpitations, restless legs and exhaustion are much better or gone on Estrogen so I know I'm in Peri but its confusing as to where.

I have a small fibroid so don't want to cut back too much on the progesterone. I will try taking it a bit earlier tonight and perhaps try just one 100mg tablet another night to see how I am.

Berto77

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2021, 09:15:40 PM »

Lots don't get on with the progesterone part of HRT  :-\.  MayB put the product name into the search box.  Make notes ;-)

Thanks CLKD, I'm reading though some old posts now.

Berto77

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2021, 05:03:06 PM »

I did try just 100mg of Utrogesten vaginally last night taken about 9pm. I went to bed about 12 and slept right through till 8am did not feel foggy or have headache. Will try the two again this evening on the same schedule to see if I feel ok or worse!