Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Transitioned from sequential to continuous HRT - but bleeding!?!  (Read 753 times)

KateEddie

• First Flush

Hello All;))

Im 53 yrs old and only just switched from 4 years on Elleste duet 2mg sequential HRT. My symptoms were reasonably well controlled (hot flushes, dryness etc) but I found the PMS and tiredness during bleeding increasingly difficult and challenging and started to dread my periods.

I'm now on an Evorel patch (change twice a week) and 100mg of Utrogestan per evening (with an Oestrogel gel pump to top up if hot flushes, dryness returns). I started this regime on Tuesday and by Thursday I was bleeding and now have a full on period. Is this normal?I feel really wiped out.

Any others who've made the change, any input welcome! ::)

Dotty

Re: Transitioned from sequential to continuous HRT - but bleeding!?!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 10:26:30 AM »

Hi welcome to the forum.  You'll get lots of help here.

Which strength patch are you on?

Any change in HRT can lead to bleeding for up to 6 months. Or not could be that your body isn't ready for a continuous regime.  xx

KateEddie

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2021, 12:41:56 PM »

I'm on Everel 100, changing it twice a week.

I honestly thought that was it, periods over, especially at 53. Its hard to know isn't it. Whether its that, or whether part of the regime doesn't suit me and needs to be tweaked.

Thank you Dotty, I appreciate your input a lot:) I'm confused! I really hope I don't have a continuous period!!

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2021, 01:31:24 PM »

Conti HRT can give bleeding, either breakthrough or full periods, for the first six months in some women. It should settle down. Some women, like me after six months of bleeding, go back onto Sequi as at least that gives (usually) a predictable bleed. Hope it settles down for you.

Taz  :)

Dotty

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 03:52:17 PM »

Hi you’ve made a big jump in oestrogen from Elleste Duet to a 100 patch. The equivalent of a 2mg tablet would be a 50 patch. This is why you could be bleeding. x

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 06:09:45 PM »

If it feels like a period it could be just that. At 53 you could easily still be peri, some women aren't meno until their early 60s.

KateEddie

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2021, 07:14:20 PM »

You are all so helpful, thank you.

Ok, so it might not have also helped that on the first day of this new regime, I also misread the instructions from the nurse at the Newson Clinic and slapped on two pumps of oestrogel (she actually told me to only use the gel if I had hot flashes etc) If this is an oestrogen issue as you've suggested
Hi you’ve made a big jump in oestrogen from Elleste Duet to a 100 patch. The equivalent of a 2mg tablet would be a 50 patch. This is why you could be bleeding. x
that could explain it!

To explain my dippy behaviour, I've had a lot of anxiety due to bereavements recently and have found it difficult to take in lots of new information. My GP was so keen for me to go onto an anti depressant and managed to get me to try Sertraline which I hated.

So I decided to bite the bullet and change to continuous HRT instead which after 4 years on sequential seemed like a good idea. Hopefully as you say, it will settle down.

Thank you again everyone for your input x