Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Progesterone  (Read 1111 times)

MSmile

• First Flush
Progesterone
« on: September 28, 2021, 07:57:59 AM »

Hi, looking for advice on progesterone. I use oestrogel and utrogestan. I am 52 and I had my last period 8 years ago ( early menopause) and went on hrt a year later. Because I take utrogestan 12 days a month I still get a period and I am wondering if I can change to daily so I have no period but not sure if there’s an age or time that doctors allow that? I also suffer with chronic migraines so thinking it may help with that as hormone will be levelled out across the month instead of raising and dropping. Thank you in advance for any replies  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Progesterone
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 09:24:59 AM »

Morning.   :welcomemm:

If you were told 'early' menopause, what support were you given?  HRT is good for bone and heart health as well as regular exercise and a good overall diet.

MayB put 'Utrogestan' into the search box on the Forum to C what pops up, make notes ;-).  I am sure that someone will be along who uses HRT but I didn't want to cut and run  ;)

Nik2502

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 10:07:20 AM »

Hi. Mine is a similar story to yours and I’ve just changed to daily progesterone after a couple of years of 10 days a month. No period and feel much better.

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2021, 04:20:32 PM »

As you're post meno a conti regime is fine.

MSmile

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2021, 05:36:28 PM »

Thank you for your reply’s. I wasn’t given any support for a few years, no hrt offered until I researched for myself and asked for it.
I just wasn’t sure if there was an age or time you could change to taking it daily. I shall ask my doctor when I speak to her and hopefully get it changed to daily. Would be nice to not have periods any more. As it’s stood the last few years having periods was a small sacrifice to pay for taking hrt so I’ve just put up with them.

Mixi

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2021, 01:23:45 PM »

Hello, fellow migraine sufferer here. The continuous HRT definitely reduced the severity of my attacks and after about 6 months the dreaded vomiting stopped. I've been on continuous Utro and Sandrena for 16 months. It is definitely worth trying as you say level hormones are better for us. I was nearly 55 when I started HRT and had nearly 1 year period free so went on continuous HRT. I have not seen anything relating to a cut-off age. I think that as you are post-menopausal for a number of years it would make good sense for you to try it. I love having no periods, my migraines were off the scale when I did.

MSmile

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2021, 01:14:10 PM »

That’s really interesting to hear! Hoping it may help even if a little. Do you take your progesterone every day? I’ve just looked at leaflet in the pack and it says 100mg day 1 to day 25 so it’s giving a three day break so not quite sure now as doc said take it every day.

Mixi

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2021, 09:25:22 PM »

Yes, take the 100mg every day x

Floo36

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2021, 12:35:51 PM »

I’m peri and take it daily.

sheila99

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2021, 02:20:14 PM »

That’s really interesting to hear! Hoping it may help even if a little. Do you take your progesterone every day? I’ve just looked at leaflet in the pack and it says 100mg day 1 to day 25 so it’s giving a three day break so not quite sure now as doc said take it every day.
That's to allow a bleed if there's been a build up. It can be useful in late peri or when you start on a conti regime (as there cab be breakthrough bleeding in the first 6 months of a conti regime). Once established most people use it every daily.

MSmile

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2021, 02:39:43 PM »

Thank you all. One more question, when is the best day to start it on? Would it be first day of period or any day?

sheila99

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2021, 03:21:22 PM »

I don't know the official answer but I would take it when the bleed ends just in case it interrupts the flow (as it's withdrawal from progesterone that triggers the bleed).