Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Arthritic pain after starting HRT? Gel or patch?  (Read 3124 times)

Nix

Arthritic pain after starting HRT? Gel or patch?
« on: September 20, 2021, 11:04:48 AM »

Hello, I’m new here and new to HRT (50mg Estradot and 200mg Utrogestan) I started around a week ago so haven’t yet had experience with the Utrogestan as I’m on a monthly cyclical regimen. I woke up this morning with the worse arthritic type pain I have ever experienced. It was total agony. I took a couple of pain killers and it eased pretty quickly especially as I started moving around however I still have some pain and stiffness in my joints. Whist on occasion (I don’t typically suffer from this type of pain)  I’ve woken up feeling a little stiff, with a little pain, I’ve not experienced anything to this level and like I mentioned it only happened here and there. I’m wondering if it’s the Estrodot bc when I first started therapy I mistakenly put a patch on for 24hours and removed it (thinking I need only wear the patch 2 days out of 7) and when I woke up the next day I also had arthritic type pain but it went away. Now it seems I’ve put the patch back on and I am in pain again only worse. I realise this could be coincidence but I have a strong feeling it’s related. Anyone else experienced anything similar?

Also, I’m considering changing from a patch to the gel as my patch is a bit turned up at the corners and it’s not yet time to replace it. If you’re using gel form Eostrogen, how do you find it?

Another thing is, I have a bulky womb due to fibroids and am worried about bleeding as I’m already super heavy… I guess that’s for another post.
Thanks
Nickie
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 12:08:10 PM by Nix »

Perinowpost

Re: Arthritic pain after starting HRT? Gel or patch?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 11:53:29 AM »

I think it’s more likely to be the utrogestan. I take it for 7 days per cycle (as I’m intolerant) and it always gives me the type of pain you’re describing. Personally I find oestrogen helps with aches and pains. It’s hard to tell though unless you take them separately, and then you know which is causing which symptoms x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 11:54:46 AM »

Morning.

As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  MayB put the name of the product into the search box on here to see if threads pop up?  Make notes ;-).  Does it leaflet in the box mention any side effects?

If patches work ........... 1 needs 2 B on HRT for 3-4 months so that the body can even out.  Do U keep a mood/food/symptom diary which may be of use?

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 12:17:42 PM »

I think there can be some connection between hrt and arthritis, I believe there was a post from someone who's arthritis was triggered by it? My joint pain went with hrt but I don't have arthritis and it didn't get worse when I started on it. Maybe try  a forum search or Google.

Nix

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 12:25:03 PM »

Morning.

As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  MayB put the name of the product into the search box on here to see if threads pop up?  Make notes ;-).  Does it leaflet in the box mention any side effects?

If patches work ........... 1 needs 2 B on HRT for 3-4 months so that the body can even out.  Do U keep a mood/food/symptom diary which may be of use?

Thanks so much for replying. I’ll try popping the name in the search box and read the leaflet again to see if there are any side effects relating to what I’m experiencing. I don’t keep diary but I’m going to start. I’ve just got a menopause app but  I haven’t tried it yet, I think I might be able to log stuff there.

Nix

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 12:32:14 PM »

I think it’s more likely to be the utrogestan. I take it for 7 days per cycle (as I’m intolerant) and it always gives me the type of pain you’re describing. Personally I find oestrogen helps with aches and pains. It’s hard to tell though unless you take them separately, and then you know which is causing which symptoms x
Hello,  :)
Thank you so much for replying.
I replied to your comment earlier but can’t see it? Think it might have been lost. I was basically saying that I hadn’t yet started the Utrogestan and that I found it interesting that you have experienced similar pain to me… I wondered if it might have something to do with hormone balance if that makes sense.

Nix

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 12:34:20 PM »

I think there can be some connection between hrt and arthritis, I believe there was a post from someone who's arthritis was triggered by it? My joint pain went with hrt but I don't have arthritis and it didn't get worse when I started on it. Maybe try  a forum search or Google.

Interesting… hope I’m not going to be one of those people that can not tolerate HRT… thank you, I’m going to look into it further.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 04:26:20 PM »

Don't panic, there are many ways of delivering HRT as well as various types to try. 

Nix

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2021, 07:47:10 AM »

Don't panic, there are many ways of delivering HRT as well as various types to try.

Thanks, I’m starting the gel today… probably should have given the patch a bit longer as I can’t be certain it was the cause but I’m still in a fair bit of pain. I’ve been prescribed Estrogel 750 micrograms and have been told to take two pumps. I was on a 50mg patch. I feel like two pumps is more than 50 mg, I don’t quite understand the conversion.

sheila99

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2021, 08:22:19 AM »

It's equivalent though it's always possible you absorb one form more readily than another.

Perinowpost

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2021, 08:24:34 AM »

Hi Nix

I think my oestrogen was low when I first started hrt and one of the first things I noticed was an improvement in my aches and pains. I haven’t been diagnosed with arthritis like you though, although I am going for MRI’s on my shoulder and foot this week for ongoing pain so we shall see.

I notice a definite worsening of aches and pains when I’m on the utrogestan though and I hope that doesn’t happen for you.

Good luck with the gel (I didn’t absorb it), I hope it works for you, and remember you can always keep tweaking hrt until you get it right, once right it’s wonderful stuff I couldn’t cope without it x