Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hello, I’m new to the forum  (Read 1296 times)

EllaW

• First Flush
Hello, I’m new to the forum
« on: September 13, 2021, 12:26:07 PM »

Hi,

I am new to the forum. I have been reading posts as a guest and can see that there is a wealth of shared knowledge and experience on here.

So I thought I’d be brave and register and ask for some help.

Does anyone have experience of different doses of Premarin and Provera combined?
I was originally on Prempac C sequential 1.25 then Premique and when that was discontinued I started taking Premarin and Provera as separate doses. 1.25 plus 5 mg Provera (I haven’t had a hysterectomy)
Decided to try and reduce the dose because an I am now over 60. Went down to 0.625 plus 2.5. All seemed fine for 3 months but now I have a return of severe symptoms, mainly depression and early waking dread and anxiety and general brain fog (I still work). I am finding it quite difficult to function.
Has anyone taken 1.25 plus 2.5? or any other combination? I’m worried that 2.5 might not be enough to protect the endometrium if I go back to 1.25 but I am really feeling the reduction in oestrogen and want to return to Premarin 1.25 which has worked really well for me.
I do understand the issues around Premarin but it has helped me so much I’d prefer to stay with it rather than start trying alternatives. If anyone has been on any of these combinations it would be really good to know your experience.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hello, I’m new to the forum
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 03:26:24 PM »

If it ain't broke?  Keep on with what works ..........  :welcomemm:

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary useful, to chart progress.  It gives us something to talk to the GP/Consultant with.  Does your GP suggest regular scans? 

EllaW

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 03:45:28 PM »

Thank you for my first reply and the welcome!

I think you are right and to be honest I am regretting trying to reduce it. Dr doesn’t recommend regular scans although I did have an ultra sound in May which was fine. I think I may start having annual mammograms rather than nhs 3 year ones if I go back up to 1.25. I don’t think they routinely tell older women to stop it now. I know the risks do increase after long term use but sometimes it is a quality of life decision.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 07:38:38 PM »

Quality of Life is my first go-to.  After a certain age 1 has to request mammograms anyway.  I wouldn't be worried about an increase in HRT ......... having had breast disease and my oncologist said at my last appt in the 1990s, "No HRT 4 U my lady" ........  :-X

Your GP probably doesn't recommend regular scans due to the type of HRT you are using?  However, if 1 opts for a longer cycle then womb scans are essential. 

Let us know how you get on.  Browse round.  Join in.

Dierdre

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 08:12:26 PM »

Some women are still taking HRT in their eighties, why would you want to reduce your dosage just because of age if you were fine on it. Id go back to the dose you were on before and hopefully it wont take long to get back to feeling good again.

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 08:13:49 PM »

Hi EllaW. As you are over sixty then have you considered a patch or gel HRT both of which are safer once over 60. I'm sixties and am on Evorel patches. Although I don't need a progesterone now, having had a hysterectomy at age 60, I was on patch HRT before then (Evorel and then FemSeven) and this suited me well. This link mentions the fact that tablet HRT gives a slight rise in stroke risk after 60 years of age https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/hormone-replacement-therapy-hrt/risks/

Not sure if this is helpful as I haven't answered your question re Provera and Premarin but hopefully someone else will answer that one  :)

Taz x  :welcomemm:

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2021, 07:41:56 AM »

I wonder why there's a 'slight risk' ....... and what this info is supposed to impart ? 

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 11:20:24 AM »

It's a way for women to weigh up the pros and cons of HRT I think. If there is an alternative which lowers risk then it's only right that we are aware of it? If you can get rid of even a slight risk then that must be helpful I reckon.

EllaW

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2021, 06:21:59 PM »

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I spoke to my GP and resumed my former dose but when the current situation improves I may explore other options. I have really struggled through the pandemic because I had to shield and have still not ventured out socially. I think it was the wrong time to make a change to my hrt dose because it just exacerbated my anxiety and made me less able to cope.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2021, 07:57:23 PM »

Let us know how you get on?