Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Does anyone just use progesterone to help them sleep?  (Read 717 times)

Noheroicsplease

Does anyone just use progesterone to help them sleep?
« on: September 09, 2021, 08:24:19 AM »

I was on Utrogestan and Evorel for two months. I'm post meno and haven't had a period in six years. But within three weeks, I had a week long bleed, then almost a month later I had - what I now can say, in hindsight - was three days of total weeping, emotion, feeling awful, then another period. I don't know if it was the combo or any particular element - certainly I felt the impact of the estrogen, bad and good.

It's like it stimulated a cycle?

Anyway, I've stopped it for now. BUT utrogestan was amazing for my sleep (insomnia).

I wondered whether it's ever prescribed on its own for these purposes?

Taz2

Re: Does anyone just use progesterone to help them sleep?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 07:50:08 AM »

I'm not sure about it being prescribed for sleep but bleeding for the first six months of using continuous HRT is very common. Some women get spotting and others get full periods while the body is adjusting

Tax

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 08:48:46 PM »

I didn't have that experience when I was on HRT before? I was using mirena and estrogen patches...Never had a period...

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 08:56:32 PM »

The mirena can stop periods completely so I expect this is what happened. It's different to utrogestan as the mirena also acts as a contraceptive and other HRT progesterones don't . I don't understand the scientific reasons though so probably not much help  :-\

hereandthere

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2021, 10:13:00 AM »

Noheroicsplease. You should check with doc if you have post menopausal bleeding. I just had a hysteroscopy but I was at risk due to atypical Ductal hyperplasia of the breast earlier in the year.
Luckily no cancer, but don’t dismiss it as a side effect.
The vaccine may also cause post menopausal bleeding. It was a symptom for me 14 days after so possible. I found I have an intramural fibroid however this was my first bleed since meno three years ago.