Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: bleeding after 5 months on tibolone/livial - any innocent reason?  (Read 984 times)

Shells99

Hi everyone

I'm 53 and post menopause with my last period in Sept 2018, almost 3 years ago.
I started talking tibolone just over 6 months ago, this is my first HRT. I chose this HRT as I was hoping for an improvement in libido and didn't dare ask for testosterone.
Everything was going well and I didn't feel that I had any side effects until I started having some brown discharge about a month ago. This began during my 6th month on the treatment. Nothing until then.
I had read that some bleeding may occur during the first 6 months but I don't know if this can also explain the late onset of my bleeding/discharge. I have had about 3 episodes since last month, each lasting about 3-4 days. Nothing heavy, just a consistent brownish discharge. It is with me at the moment and I also feel uite tired and have low mood these past few days. Also having some lower backache but this in itself is nothing new.

My gynae history until now is a diagnosis of 2 uterine fibroids which explained the irregular bleeding and heavy, painful periods I was experiencing for about 3 years from 2015-2018. I have had no issues since Sept '18 and my last smear (12 months ago) was clear.

I suppose I'm hoping to hear from others with similar experiences or with knowledge regarding possible reasons for the bleeding starting at this stage in my HRT treatment.
My biggest fear is that I have developed womb cancer and will contact my GP soon to advise her of this symptom.
I'm also wondering if I could have too much/too little progesterone and do I need to review my treatment.
Perhaps this will settle soon but I don't know how much bleeding is too much/too long.

Any replies are appreciated.

Thanks in advance for reading this.

hereandthere

Re: bleeding after 5 months on tibolone/livial - any innocent reason?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 09:43:48 AM »

Hi Shells99
Did you contact your dr?
I just had a hysteroscopy for unexplained post menopausal bleeding and thickened uterine lining on ultrasound. Luckily no cancer, but I have an intramural fibroid. I was on Livial but went back to Femoston, then off everything due to atypical Ductal Hyperplasia in the breast earlier this year.
I’m thinking of going back on to Livial as Tibolone is best for the ADH if I’m going to use an HRT- I mean technically it’s not even HRT. Gynae gave me a prescription but I’ve not yet filled it.
A Pap smear won’t show uterine cancer. It is for cervical cancer. I was actually ignorant about that.
I did have the bleeding 14 days after the vaccine, which I then discovered is a symptom, so that’s also a possibility. I just had the Pfizer vaccine 2 yesterday and I can feel ‘bubbles’ late yesterday and today in my abdomen.

Shells99

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2021, 08:58:18 PM »

Hello
Yes, I saw my GP on Monday and she gave me an internal examination and had a look at my cervix.
She saw what she described as an ulcer on the cervix but she couldn't say if this was causing the bleeding or it was coming from the womb itself.
She referred me to gynae at the hospital and I received a letter today with an appointment to attend the hysteroscopy clinic on 20th Sept.
This scared me as I assumed I would be seen in the general clinic first, have a scan and then perhaps be asked to return for a hysteroscopy (depending on what the womb looks like in the scan) I didn't expect to be called straight in for the hysteroscopy  :-\
I'm thinking it's good that they are doing this so uickly but am still dreading the actual procedure. This will be without anaesthetic as far as I know.

Regarding the tibolone I'm now off it just over a week and the bleeding has settled this past few days. I haven't experienced any significant issues yet, perhaps a bit of brain fog returning, but I am hoping that I will be given the all clear and able to return to the Tibolone as I was doing well on it.

hereandthere

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 05:37:56 AM »

Hi Shells99
How did it go? Was it very painful without general anesthesia?
In South Africa we only seem to have hysteroscopies under general anaesthetic. It’s weird how certain protocols are followed in one country and then the opposite in another. You’d think global consensus would be reached on procedures that have been going for years.