Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Aching heavy legs  (Read 3399 times)

Hopeful

Aching heavy legs
« on: August 24, 2021, 03:37:28 AM »

Hi
I am on week 7 of femsevern conti and have had really achy leg muscles (mainly thighs)for the last few weeks. Could this be the patches doing this.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Aching heavy legs
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 08:07:14 AM »

Morning.  I had unusual leg pains etc. during my menstruating years.  Does it say anything in the leaflet in the box?

SueLW

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 08:07:53 PM »

Could this be the patches doing this.

It could be.  I have had heavy leaden and painful legs with weak muscles and especially weak front thigh muscles for several years now.  It was worse on patches.  You can experiment to see.  When you get to a patch change, take it off and leave it off.  See how you feel for the next 12-24hrs.  Slap a new patch on as soon as you feel off.  But see if you get much recovered during the time.  I used to. I'd go from being sloth-like to hoovering at midnight by taking a patch off for a few hours.  I'm on spray now and it's not as bad but still there.  I have tried lowering the spray but felt unbearably sad, so I don't think I can do without HRT.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 09:36:38 PM »

My thigh muscle weakness is due to lack of exercise.  As my end of Term Reports said, "Must Try Better"  >:(  ::)

pepperminty

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2021, 06:47:04 AM »

Just a  thought -

Side effects of progesterone :

Musculoskeletal
Very common (10% or more): Joint pain (20%), cramps NOS (15%), musculoskeletal pain (12%)

Common (1% to 10%): Back pain, arthralgia, myalgia.

The continuous progesterone may be causing this? Or at least making it worse.

Extract copied  below :

How does estrogen affect pain?
Pain intensity tends to increase when estrogen levels are low and progesterone levels are high. In fact, estrogen levels are highest during pregnancy and childbirth, which provides some natural pain relief. There’s a gender gap when it comes to pain—women have more frequent, longer-lasting, and severe pain than men—and estrogen and progesterone are involved in those differences.

PMXX
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 06:57:25 AM by pepperminty »

Hopeful

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2021, 06:58:52 AM »

Could this be the patches doing this.

It could be.  I have had heavy leaden and painful legs with weak muscles and especially weak front thigh muscles for several years now.  It was worse on patches.  You can experiment to see.  When you get to a patch change, take it off and leave it off.  See how you feel for the next 12-24hrs.  Slap a new patch on as soon as you feel off.  But see if you get much recovered during the time.  I used to. I'd go from being sloth-like to hoovering at midnight by taking a patch off for a few hours.  I'm on spray now and it's not as bad but still there.  I have tried lowering the spray but felt unbearably sad, so I don't think I can do without HRT.

Thank you sueLW, that seems a good idea I will try taking the patch off thank you.

Hopeful

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2021, 07:01:29 AM »

Hi CKLD
I do a fair bit of exercise, running, Pilates included. Pain feels like I have been running too much but I haven’t so seems strange.

Pepperminty
Thank you for the information

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2021, 08:27:35 AM »

Actually - U may have been over doing the exercise.  Especially running.  Although we need impact exercise for bone health, sometimes too much pounding of hard surfaces at this time of Life, when oestrogen is dropping off, may cause your symptoms.  Laxity of muscles = aches and pains, due to the lack of elasticity in the fibres. 

MayB speak to a women's physiotherapist to find out how much might be 2 much? 

:thankyou:  pepperminty - that's a good explanation.